🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you Detect this area ?

The evening herald.
(Shenandoah, Pa.), 24 Aug. 1895.

1.jpg
2.jpg

The evening herald. (Shenandoah, Pa.) 1891-1966, August 24, 1895, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another cool Oklahoma outlaw history post, Jeff. OKC Police Chief Milt Jones was killed in this jail break along with one of the outlaw Casey brothers. The area is probably private property and probably very few people know what took place there. Lots of outlaw/law dog shoot out sites in Oklahoma. Not much chance of fabulous treasures buried there, but good chance of historical relics. Also if they were cornered and saw no chance of escape, it would be to those old time outlaws advantage to hide any little thing that might link them to past crimes. (Evidence hoss, hide it quick.) I know the location in Western Oklahoma where lawmen shot it out with Red Buck Waightman and killed him. Good chance of finding bullets and possibly evidence of some of his recent robberies stashed there. Right there at it, but couldn't get in on the place though, so I'll keep the location quiet for now.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a location that some bank robbers from the 1920's were known to hide out. I have been given permission to hunt the site. Just waiting on time. It was also an old orchard that had a train stop to pick up the goods for market. Hopefully in the spring I will be playing in those fields and old home foundations.....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good place to detect if you could would be where they captured the Rufus Buck Gang in Oklahoma. That group was about the lowest of the low to come out of the Indian Nations and the Nations were a slightly better place after Judge Parker had them hung. I'm surprised somebody hasn't tried to claim that that poem Rufus left behind about his mother is a secret code directing one to the outlaw's buried treasure. Look that up and you'll see how it could be taken that way.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jury was out only 3 minutes before declaring them guilty. They must have been tried before trial......

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jury was out only 3 minutes before declaring them guilty. They must have been tried before trial......

sadly more then not, that's is how the court system seems to work.

they get tried in the court of opinion through news and Gossip first.

after that it is prove your innocence by getting at least one person on the jury
to feel something strong for you.

if your hated by the world it may as well be a Lynching on the spot :(
though I would guess in the early years before AP news you had a better chance of one or more members on the jury
asking "Who" ? when told who was on trial, I would think people trusted the Prosecution always told the truth back then also.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rufus Buck gang were thieves, murderers, and gang rapists. After their capture law enforcement had to protect them to make sure they did receive any kind of trial. My family was living in the Nations at the time and they would mention guys like Ned Christie and the James Boys with something close to admiration. But not the Buck Gang. Anyway, they were captured after a 7 hour gun battle at a place called Flat Rock north of Okmulgee, as far as I can determine. They were dividing up loot from a small time heist at the time. Maybe Rufus' poem is a coded guide to where he stashed the loot before his capture. And that's a good of way as any to start a treasure legend, you think?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And before anybody gets the idea there was a rush to judgement, they were convicted of rape and sentenced to be hung in October 1895. The case was appealed to the Supreme Court and they upheld the conviction and they weren't hung until July of 1896. More due process than they deserved. They actually argued amongst themselves about what time of day they wanted to be hung and finally let a deputy pick the time. They all went straight to hell together at one o'clock in the afternoon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread