Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On a more serious note. How sad and awful that was to say they didnt deserve to see God's light... Makes my stomach drop

It sure gave me an appreciation for Ireland and a disdain for the way they were run roughshod over by England.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, I haven't been. Not sure how I feel about that. There was alot of suffering there, not sure I agree with making money from that

I agree with you as far as rigging the place & Hiring "wana-Be" actors, it's destroying history

Last edited:

Cburden

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2013
Philadelphia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent lots of time exploring this area years ago. I always walked across the train tracks over the river to get in.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Cburden said:
I spent lots of time exploring this area years ago. I always walked across the train tracks over the river to get in.

Now it's watched To much to explorer u

Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
very cool pics!! i spent alot of time in Rofo and the spring city area (grew up in north coventry), did alot of fishing and partying back around the old yankee dam area and even did some detecting around pennhurst about 20 yrs ago.......it is a creepy area........also spent a few hours at pumptown:laughing9:

Wow, small world. I grew up in South Coventry and spent a lot of time in Royersford/Spring City because that's where all the relatives lived. In my teen years I had two friends who lived just outside of Spring City and we used to ride motorcycles/3-wheelers out to the "the basin" above Parkerford.

Oh, and I too spent a few hours at Pumptown. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
i'd think the grave stones are still there, they were about 50 yrds behind the last house on the dead end of the street (Kathryn LN) and i would guess that area was pennhurst's property, the headstones looked like very early 1900's but i never really checked out the dates on them

That graveyard may be a family plot. The "milk bottle" farm is old and it wasn't uncommon back in the day to have a family burial ground on your property. Several can still be spotted on farms driving through the Oley area.

I'll ask my dad about this. He grew up literally just passed the milk bottle in an an old wooden house that stood at the edge of the road into the early '90s, on the left heading into town. An older stone house is still there on the property, but sits back a bit. My dad and his siblings were all over those fields when they were kids.

Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, my dad doesn't remember the graveyard, but he does remember fooling around with "the English girl" in those woods. Says he was distracted! That would explain why the headstones were still standing in the '90s too. They were bad, probably would have knocked them all down had they found them.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Wow, small world. I grew up in South Coventry and spent a lot of time in Royersford/Spring City because that's where all the relatives lived. In my teen years I had two friends who lived just outside of Spring City and we used to ride motorcycles/3-wheelers out to the "the basin" above Parkerford.

Oh, and I too spent a few hours at Pumptown. :dontknow:

i also rode in that basin, me and my cousin both had dirt bikes (xr 200's) then i got a xl 350. i knew alot of dudes from leisure equipment........small world

Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Dogpound, does this look like the cemetary you remember... Pennhurst Memorial Cemetary

I can't find any reference to where it's located on the grounds, but some aerial views show a rectangular tree lined area directly behind the last home on Kathryn that backs up to the Pennhurst property.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Dogpound, does this look like the cemetary you remember... Pennhurst Memorial Cemetary

I can't find any reference to where it's located on the grounds, but some aerial views show a rectangular tree lined area directly behind the last home on Kathryn that backs up to the Pennhurst property.

i don't remember seeing the big memorial rock or the flush headstones, these headstones were raised. but the area you discribe from the aerial view is the exact location, it was only a stones throw from that last home (maybe the pics show are the ones but the headstones may have been replaced?)

Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't remember seeing the big memorial rock or the flush headstones, these headstones were raised. but the area you discribe from the aerial view is the exact location, it was only a stones throw from that last home (maybe the pics show are the ones but the headstones may have been replaced?)

Interesting. That rectangular area shows up on Historic Aerials and Penn Pilot.com, maybe it has been restored with flush head stones fairly recently. Funny, on one of our rides (circa 1983/84) to the basin above Parkerford we cut through fields to Pennhurst rd and rode straight by this cemetery and landed on Church street below. Never saw it.

I'll have to do some digging on the history of it. Might not even be the same cemetery.

FLINTSTONESKID

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been trying to get into pennhurst for years to take photos. i even spoke with the owner and his brother but they were iffy about letting me in...then a year later they made it into a halloween spectacle....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread