Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evening public ledger. (Philadelphia [Pa.]), 11 Dec. 1915

000aaa.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...n+pa&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you suppose they cleaned and ate all those birds? If all the grouse in Pa. had been rounded up for these fellas, do you suppose they would have shot them all? Good thing we have limits today.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Must have had a Picnic.
I Don't remember seeing a Grouse since I was maybe a Teen '70's
but I'd imagine it's just their habitat is probably not in the mining zones.
probably more around the farms

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
And you wonder why we find all those shotgun head stamps. I have so many, I’m making a display out of them.

Look at the dog, he looks beat!!!!!!!!

:laughing7:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cleaned 4 limits of grouse once, that's 12 birds, back in 1979. I was cleaning them, because my three hunting "buddies" decided to celebrate getting their limits by stopping at the tavern, and they were now on their lips. It took quite awhile, and kind of killed my appetite for grouse. They went in the freezer.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are a delicious eating bird. Like Kray said,thank God we have limits on them today......If you can find them.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Following logging there was a flush of second growth and prime habitat in multiple states. Partridge do migrate to some extent depending on region ,though some tough out winter in the right habitat.
Often using white pines or similar dense evergreens for roosting/cover in real cold conditions, and browsing aspen buds and other stuff when off roosts.

I on't know when market hunting ended in Pa. and modern game rules became established , but partridge were often well received in towns and cities. Elsewhere at least...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions