Tintypes-

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Hey Warsaw, I don't know the answer to your question. :dontknow:

BUT, be careful posting them things, we all know how you like the Ladies. :thumbsup: :laughing7:

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
If I'm not mistaken it was in the 1860's when they were last used. It would be cool to see them. :icon_thumright:

Wolverine.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
In reality, there are no switching points in time for photography. The different types were used at the same time. It all started just before 1800 when Schulze discoverer the light sensitivity of silver salts. The first photos were produced on leather using silver nitrate. By 1815 Nicephore Niepce used coated metal plates using silver chloride. Many processes followed using Glass and various metal plates. In 1839 Daguerre invented an improved metal plate process. It was called daguerreotypes. Calotype came next, but the images were on the course side and only used for buildings, not people. These two processes ran in parallel. Silver gelatin prints came next about 1852. Information spread slowly at that time and most of the discovery happened in France. A lot of the metal plates were mirror images. A lot of the so called tintypes were actually paper prints bound in metal. I do photography work. I started in the 50's and I actually made glass plates images. They were called lantern slide plates,4"x5". They were the forrunner of the slide. Now it's all digital and you can change anything in the image with a good program.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread