Cannot Help But Smile

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply cute picture as this little guy looks so proud and happy packing that feather
with all the confidence in the world.
Got this from an estate sale and the consignor said it was an attic find that no one knew
it was there. Appears to have some age to it (sellers pictures) as I have not received it yet.
Described as painting on linen (maybe silk).

[FONT=&quot]- Looking for help with the Japanese signatures, any information with the names or meaning, translation is appreciated...........

Puppy.jpg ...... Pup Signatures.jpg
[/FONT]

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any new information on the painting you purchased? At first glance at the stamps,I believe the artist is using a type of Chinese calligraphy stamp called 篆书 zhuan4 shu1. It's a seal script that was first used during the Qin dynasty (秦代)and the Han dynasty (汉代) . I'm not saying the art is from that time as that script has been used since that time for artist signatures. Sorry I don't have anymore info at the moment but I hope this helps point you in direction to Identify the artist.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yang Hao, thanks so much as that is a great start as I have run into a brick wall trying to find any info on this.
I should receive the painting in about 2 weeks and will post new pictures especially the back as some times the
back is a good clue.....

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have is a modern copy of a scroll painting generally referred to as “Puppy Playing with a Pheasant Feather”. The original, as ink and watercolour on silk, is in the Philadelphia Museum of Art and attributed to the Korean artist Yi Am (in Hangul:이암, in Hanja:李巖) who lived during the mid-Joseon Dynasty between 1499-1566.

This is the one in in the PMA collection:

Korean.jpg

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much Red-Coat. Now we know the history we can enjoy this print even more...

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much Red-Coat. Now we know the history we can enjoy this print even more...

It may not be a print. It may still be hand-painted, but a copy nevertheless. As I understand it, the PMA bought the scroll painting in 1959 as a 17th Century work by an unknown artist. Their later research identified the artist as the Korean Yi Am and the period as mid-16th Century. I double-checked and it seems they have recently backed down from that assessment and it's now just described as 16th-17th Century from Korea or Japan by an unknown artist.

It came to prominence from 1959 onwards, featuring in art books, on posters, postcards etc and spawned all manner of reproductions - both as prints and hand-painted copies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread