Old Photos . . . I Like Restoring them
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree29Likes
  • 12 Post By Chadeaux
  • 2 Post By Treasure_Hunter
  • 2 Post By villagenut
  • 2 Post By WannaDig3687
  • 2 Post By 1637
  • 1 Post By tamrock
  • 4 Post By Chadeaux
  • 1 Post By Louie D
  • 1 Post By Mudflap
  • 1 Post By tamrock
  • 1 Post By Chadeaux

Thread: Old Photos . . . I Like Restoring them

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6202 times
    Cache Hunting

Old Photos . . . I Like Restoring them

Original image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	restore_challenge_original.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	1862804

After I cleaned it up:

Name:	restore_challenge_bw.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	1862805

Learned a lot of tricks as I went along. I used Affinity Photo by Serif to remove the damage. I really like how the details of the dress were fixed.

Other parts that took a bit of thinking: Her left nostril (right side of her face in the picture) is a reflection of her right . Since it worked on her nose, her left eye is a reflection of her right. The hair on his left side (right side in the picture) was not present in the original. It was just one big blob.

All in all, lots of fun. I saw someone else's version of the original image and decided to try my hand at it.
    "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have anymore reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. . . . Whatever you hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge or wisdom in the Grave, where you are going." -- Ecclesiastes 9:5 & 10

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    33150 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Looks really nice after the repair work.
    WannaDig3687 and Chadeaux like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    5058 times
    So is this a computer restored photo or an actual photo that you restored to look new again? It does look very well done...
    WannaDig3687 and Chadeaux like this.

Charter Member
    us
    specjalista od kopania paznokci

Jun 2017
    O-H-I-O
    Garret ATMAX
    58813 times
    digging history of my farm
    Chadeaux,
    Wonderful work! I remember you sharing another photo that you restored/fixed. You really have a talent for this.
    tamrock and Chadeaux like this.
    "Those who do not look upon themselves as a link connecting the past with the future do not perform their duty to the world."
    ~Daniel Webster (January 18, 1782 October 24, 1852)

My digging site:

https://youtu.be/Q3rCYkrIq8E

https://youtu.be/lJ_UbtEwGrc

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1595 times
    my niece did this to a old picture of my parents from 1939 that was pretty bad.it came out great,crazy what can be done now.
    great job on your pictures.
    brad
    tamrock and Chadeaux like this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    21238 times
    Good work Chadeaux. I sure have a few old photographs I'd like to repair some day. Have you ever thought about taking it a step further and attempt to colorize old photos? I like to veiw some of those you can on the web that are old actual photographs taken during the Civil War. Some of those I find really amazing.
    Chadeaux likes this.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6202 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by villagenut View Post
    So is this a computer restored photo or an actual photo that you restored to look new again? It does look very well done...
    It is someone else's old photo. Actually "borrowed" it from a photography repair site.

Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Good work Chadeaux. I sure have a few old photographs I'd like to repair some day. Have you ever thought about taking it a step further and attempt to colorize old photos? I like to veiw some of those you can on the web that are old actual photographs taken during the Civil War. Some of those I find really amazing.
    I've actually posted some that I recolored in another thread in this ("old photos") forum.

Saved from the landfill.

Saved from the landfill.

Recoloring old images is a lot of fun and relaxing.

Here are some more recent ones I've done:

Name:	WitthuhnErnstAdelaOemichenwed.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	1862991 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WitthuhnErnstAdelaOemichenwed_after.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	1862992

This one is actually a combination of a Google Earth Photo and a 1912 (I think) image of the Southern Railways station that was on Canal Street in New Orleans (my hometown) that was destroyed the year before my birth. I played with Google Earth until I was as close as possible to the angle of the original photo then replaced the park with the old station. It helped that both the building on the left and right of the station are still there so I was able to adjust the transparency of the station image, match up the lines on both buildings to make sure my scale and perspective were correct. Then masked the edges so that only what I wanted included was left.

Name:	terminal_bw.jpg 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	1862996 + Click image for larger version. 

Name:	today_googleEarth.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	1862997 = Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back_in_time.jpg 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	1862993
    "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have anymore reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. . . . Whatever you hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge or wisdom in the Grave, where you are going." -- Ecclesiastes 9:5 & 10

us
    USMC 0331 Forever

Nov 2018
    The Motor City
    270 times
    Anyone know what uniform the man in the photo is wearing?
    Chadeaux likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    1438 times
    Very nice job. You have a good grasp of Affinity Photo. I use it but need a ton more practice.
    Chadeaux likes this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    21238 times
    That's neat. So does this colorizing technique able to detect a person's eye color and all, or do you need to know some info about what the colors are before a b&w was taken?
    Chadeaux likes this.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6202 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    That's neat. So does this colorizing technique able to detect a person's eye color and all, or do you need to know some info about what the colors are before a b&w was taken?
    No, it requires either a knowledge of those things, or a "best guess" at the colors. Sometimes a "gradient map" which assigns exact colors to exact grey values is the best way to go, as with lace or the blue and white patterned cloth visible. That process assigns the color, so it's almost like painting with a "magic" paintbrush. Other times it means using a standard brush like coloring pages in a coloring book.

In either case, you will need to use layers, stacking them one on another. In the image of the lady holding the book, her dress color is one layer, that being the only item on the layer. Her hair color is on another - but this time using a gradient map because I don't know many Scandinavian women with black hair, and the gradient map allowed the change.

All layers use blend modes other than normal. I mostly use "soft light" and "overlay" blend modes. This can sometimes give colors you don't expect, so it requires adjustment on occasion when the color reacts to the image and blend mode.

Hope this helps
    ToddsPoint likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links