Oregon Gold

zOdeac

Apr 27, 2009
Hello all my name is Lee. I'm interested in doing some prospecting finding some gold with a metal detector and panning. I live in the Portland area and was looking for an area to pan for some gold. I know everyone wants gold and if it was easy to get gold would not be worth so much. Here is my dilemma, My wife gets board quick if we don't find something in a few hours then she will complain about how boring it is like fishing.

If anyone could help me find one spot where i could pan or detect gold to find even a small nugget my wife would want to go again.
I though about joining the GPAA to make it easier. I'm really not looking to get rich just doing it for something to do on the weekends that really don't cost that much money. Gas is not much problem with my Geo Metro at 55mpg:}

If anyone could point me in the right direction i would really be grateful thank you so much.

Lee

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
GPAA has some sites just to the north of you in So. Washington State.
Just a bit north on I-5 from Vancouver.
I am going to try them this summer.
Building a sluice box right now and have a couple pans.
Good info with the GPAA intro pack.

Greydigger

OP
OP
Z

zOdeac

Apr 27, 2009
greydigger said:
GPAA has some sites just to the north of you in So. Washington State.
Just a bit north on I-5 from Vancouver.
I am going to try them this summer.
Building a sluice box right now and have a couple pans.
Good info with the GPAA intro pack.

Greydigger

i was wondering if i join the GPAA do i have to get mining permits in Oregon and Washington?

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
GPAA has claims in a lot of ststes that are for members only and they also list in their book other open claims.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
As far as I know no permits are needed for panning or sluicing in Oregon. I hear Washington is a little stricter, but I'm unfamiliar with that state. Quartzville is not too far south from you, you might try over there for a weekend. There is a nice little spot right where Quartzville creek hits the slackwater of Green Peter Reservoir. A little pullout to the right that can't hold much more than ten cars is actually sitting on top of old channel. There are nice little pea size nuggets in there. That 9 mile stretch of Quartzville creek is open to the public for panning sluicing and dredging, although dredging does require a permit in Oregon. :)

oregongold.net

Greenie
Apr 30, 2009
Marcola, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
It really depends on how far you are willing to travel. How far are you willing to go?

The only thing I know of in Clackamas County is a creek known as Ogle Creek, which is a tributary of the Molalla River in the far southeast corner of the county. Near the location of the Ogle Mountian Mine and Mill. Historically, only a small production of 5,000 ounces of gold came out of the area.

OP
OP
Z

zOdeac

Apr 27, 2009
Jeffro said:
As far as I know no permits are needed for panning or sluicing in Oregon. I hear Washington is a little stricter, but I'm unfamiliar with that state. Quartzville is not too far south from you, you might try over there for a weekend. There is a nice little spot right where Quartzville creek hits the slackwater of Green Peter Reservoir. A little pullout to the right that can't hold much more than ten cars is actually sitting on top of old channel. There are nice little pea size nuggets in there. That 9 mile stretch of Quartzville creek is open to the public for panning sluicing and dredging, although dredging does require a permit in Oregon. :)

Thank you Jeffro, I have one more question i got some information sent to me from BLM and there it say i cant use a sluicing items? Is that just the public areas only or can i do sluicing where your telling me to go? I dont plan on sluicing right now but after reading a lot i might want to a few times of going out.

Thank you in advance for your advice guys for a new guy like me it helps out. Just wish there's a sticky note telling some one FAQ's.

Lee

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I wish there was too, lol! If the BLM isn't allowing sluicing thats a new one on me. Wouldn't surprise me though. It would ONLY apply to BLM lands if that were the case and Quartzville is not BLM, so as far as I know its ok.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread