Hillsboro and surrounding area hunters

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vancouver wa a few miles away!!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kc10bull said:
Is that Hillsboro county? What state???

No, we live in Vancouver Washington, right across the river from Portland and Jantzen Beach!!!!

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, Hillsboro Oregon, washington county. :)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Quite a few. Need to join a detector club. Check out Forest Grove, too, where Compass is headquartered.

I'm in SE Portland if that helps.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into a group of people at shute park not to long ago, tried talking to them and being civil and what not and they ignored me.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Mezrein503 said:
I ran into a group of people at shute park not to long ago, tried talking to them and being civil and what not and they ignored me.
Some people are, how to put this, antisocial. Have met a few of 'em like that. Don't take it personal.

It's possible joining a detector club would be good for you. You'd certainly get to meet other people in your area, as well as looking at what has been found recently.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a curious question for the oregon locals. I've been noticing a lot on the today's finds that people are pullin anywhere from 5 to 10 in clad on their hunts. My record so far has been $1.38. Am I doing something wrong or do people just not lose as much money in oregon as elsewhere? :)

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
A lot of people have been there before you. Last time I had one of the grandkids over to the park in Aloha three other people showed up before we left.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Mezrein503 said:
Here's a curious question for the oregon locals. I've been noticing a lot on the today's finds that people are pullin anywhere from 5 to 10 in clad on their hunts. My record so far has been $1.38. Am I doing something wrong or do people just not lose as much money in oregon as elsewhere? :)
$1 face value (FV) is and has historically been rare for me. I've been hunting this area since 1980.

You have to keep in mind that Portland is the largest town in Oregon, a small-population state that includes Bounty Hunter, Technetics, White's, and Compass. Since 1970 there's been a lot of people out there searching. You have to be better than the ones that already searched. Sometimes that means having a better detector. Sometimes that means digging a lot of trash signals so you can hear the really deep coins.

Here's a thought: try looking for gold nuggets in the old dredge piles around Sumpter, John Day, Baker City, or Susanville.

Check where sidewalks are being broken up and re-poured. It's really amazing what can be found before the new concrete goes in the frames.

If you're looking for silver coins, you gotta go where there were people likely to have lost some before 1970. (As an official old fart, I can verify 90% silver coins were common in circulation even after 1970, but they got scarce quickly thereafter.)

You may come across a lot of old tokens, too, while detecting here. I hunted a friend's home in John Day in 1979, and found several silver coins, as well as a nearly complete set of tokens from another Eastern Oregon town. The town was over 50 miles away, so the token owners never went back to use them: too costly.

Lots of ghost towns in Oregon. I define a ghost town as a place that once had a post office, and then lost it. Good source for that information in Lewis A. McArthur's "Oregon Geogarphic Names".

Maybe you enjoy searching where treasure has already been found. Do a Google search for Oregon treasure found Hillsboro. Then substitute found for lost in your search. The Internet is a fast way to find info: much faster than most libraries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread