gold on oregon beaches

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Oregon isn't known for its beach gold for a pretty good reason, it's tough to catch and there ain't all that much there.

I have seen gold recovered from Lincoln city beaches, and down around Bandon... There are some black sand deposits there that make you're mouth water, but they're high and dry and "protected". Some are 5 feet thick!

David Plath is in Lincoln city and he has a unique device for catching the really fine micro gold. Do a search for www.cleangold.com

G

Gone_Bananas

I've noticed that there are some claims just north of the Florence city limits, according to the LR2000 claims site. Might be some people who just staked claims so they would have some coast property to camp on! Who knows!

T

TreasureTales

So GOLD BEACH, Oregon is just a name and not a reality? Bummer!! LOL

Hard rider, welcome to TreasureNet. You're going to like it here because as you can already see, folks are willing to help you in every aspect of treasure hunting (prospecting, panning, bottle digging, coinshooting, relic hunting, etc.) imagineable.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Gold beach had some great deposits at one time. A storm uncovered them and the were hit hard way back when. Probably still some good stuff left there, but I hear they really frown on beach boxes, LOL! I dunno, I've never hit that one.

I've done quite a bit of prospecting way upstream from there, there's some great gold where those beach placers came from. ;)

OP
OP
H

hard rider

Feb 12, 2007
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO,JEFFRO,ARE THERE ANY TAILINGS OTHER THEN COYOTE CK,ANY ON GRAVES CK.? i'M GETTING MY 700 PERMIT AS I WRITE,AND MY 600 PERMIT TO HIGHBANK,I'VE GOT A 3 INCH PROLINE DREDGE AND A SMALL HIGHBANKER,LOOKING TO FINE SOME GOOD GOLD THIS SPRING,ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT,THE BEACHES AREN'T LOOKING TOGOOD SO FAR.........

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Yep there are some nice areas on Graves creek for fines and small nuggies. Also upstream on the Rogue there are several good producing streams that come in. Rocky Gulch and Rich gulch- just downstream from Galice, are good places to look. Galice creek has great deposits, mostly claimed. The Almeda mine is in that area, as well. Huge vein cuts right across the road, neat to see.

We'll be heading down to that area the end of March, on spring break if you're interested. No dredging that time of year though.

OP
OP
H

hard rider

Feb 12, 2007
Jeffro,I e-mailed you also,I would be honored to meet up with you,my wife and I are really having a good time prospecting,fining alot of the fine stuff,looking for those ones you pick up,outa the pan...

cmeskim

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2006
eugene
Detector(s) used
whites gmt goldmaster dd
Re: brice creek..cedar creek

Hi Jeffro,

I went up brice creek, just above Cedar creek camp ground. I like it there. little less then a 1/2 a cubic yard, i got little nice nuggets, under roots in bedrock ledge where you mentioned. i ran a small sluice. took 6 hour. Now I under stand settling out spots. thank you Jeffro.
It was frozen for a while but now its warm an perfect. I also have lots of fines which i have not picked out of the black sand. this is very good for me up here. I do not know if this is good diggins. I dont know how to rate what i did. I will going out there for the next few days while its perfect weather.
phil

Attachments

• gold22.JPG
    gold22.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,940

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Not bad at all! but there is better stuff up there. You're on the right track! Go upstream to just below where it starts to rise up, the bigger nuggies will come. Best I've done up there is 4 or 5 one pennyweight pieces out of a crack, under the roots. They come in very small clusters. The big stuff drops out first, thats why I say go a little upstream from where you found those.

Nice job. ;)

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
cmeskim, nice finds! I didn't do half so well last time I was out there. I think I'm going to have to try again next sunny day that comes along. Your finds have inspired me to do some digging... :)

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
The gold coast is called the gold coast for a reason. The beaches are covered in gold from San Francisco to Coos Bay, OR. Some of the richest deposits are from Bandon to Coos Bay, although Gold Beach got it's name from the gold on the beach there. One needs a beach box like the miners use on the Nome beaches. The gold is very fine and very plentiful. The richest deposits are in Cut Creek just north of Bandon State Park. The creek is very assessable on the beach and for those that do not know, no one individual owns the beaches in OR. The rivers bring the fine gold down from the rivers and the tides wash it up on the beaches. Don't scare the seals....

Nov 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I panned the beach at Gold Beach after the heavy storms on Thanksgiving, there is a small seasonal creek near the lighthouse that was covered with uprooted trees and a yacuzzi (no kidding!) swept down the Rogue river and flooded creeks. The waves did a good job concentrating the heavy minerals, that form broad streaks in the sand along the creek. The gold is very fine and tricky to separate from the black sand, but there was color in every pan.

The following day we stopped at Crooked Creek in Bandon (South of the city, there is a parking lot above the beach on the "loop" road next to the houses). It is at the Bandon State Park, so no sluices or heavy tools are allowed. The creek also just had flooded and there was even more fine gold in gravel bars than in the black sand in Gold Beach.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know.... old thread but was wondering if any of you have been through here lately?

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bump.

Heading up to Bridge and Myrtle Point area next month to hang out with the grand kids. Will try my luck while I'm there. I've seen some articles and video's on Coquille river gold. A lot of information on beach gold also. Always mentioned are Cut creek and Whiskey Run. I prefer the hills. I'll probably stick pretty close to Myrtle Point, but will see what I can find. Maybe I can put the kids to work.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Gold Beach, Myrtle Point, all worthwhile. My then brother-in-law and I foundn a platinum nugget near Myrtle Creek, andd the Coquille R. is known for platinum production. Also, the beach sands deposits are productive for both gold and platinum. Some of the cranberry bogs down there have some really good finds.

cacarr

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2019
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oregon isn't known for its beach gold for a pretty good reason, it's tough to catch and there ain't all that much there.

I have seen gold recovered from Lincoln city beaches, and down around Bandon... There are some black sand deposits there that make you're mouth water, but they're high and dry and "protected". Some are 5 feet thick!

David Plath is in Lincoln city and he has a unique device for catching the really fine micro gold. Do a search for www.cleangold.com

This is an incredibly ancient thread, but I thought I would add something as it still ranks high for "Oregon coast gold" and similar queries.

*Southern* Oregon beaches are in fact well known for gold, historically -- and there is still good gold (and even platinum group metals) from Brandon to Brookings.

The reason why people don't beach mine in that stretch much compared to Cape Disappointment in Washington is because there is no motorized anything allowed on Oregon beaches. There are places on the southern Oregon coast that are better than Cape Disappointment, but in Washington you can set up a recirculating Gold Cube right on the beach.

The gold is extremely fine (as it is in the Cape Disappointment area), and the black sands are full of magnetite, so gold recovery is tricky. But the gold is there. In Oregon, you need to find a stretch of beach that has good quantities of black sands *and* has a stream cutting through the beach with flow sufficient to run a non-motorized, in-stream sluice. And even then, it's probably not going to be as efficient as running black sands through your 4-stack Gold Cube.

A hell of a lot of flour gold has washed down out of the Rogue (+ Chetco, Pistol, and even Coquille), and there's still plenty of very fine gold down there. But it takes more work than the beach placers of Washington.

Also, the amount of gold-bearing sands at any time on any given beach varies a lot. The deposits are constantly shifting around. Hitting the beaches in the winter after a big storm can be productive.

Last edited:

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washington beaches like Cape Disappointment can be ok I heard but the state decided that of all the "pollution" they could go after they would hurt the hobby sluice operators on the beach by banning their submersible pumps for their goldcube sluices.

Pretty boneheaded to make it harder to recover gold thats just laying around all over out there. Its almost like they don't want you to earn a living off of it and contribute to the economy gee I wonder why that might be and what else they are up to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread