Willamette river landings in Marion county

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
In the early 1830s, retiring Hudson's Bay Company employees began to settle on the prairies along the river they had previously trapped. These early settlers in present day Marion County were soon followed by missionaries and then the early pioneer emigrants. With the first settlements came mills, warehouses and ferry landings. The river not only provided a means of transportation but also a way in which to transport crops to market.

As early as 1846, Robert "Doc" Newell, ex-trapper, had three flatboats operating between the Willamette Falls and Champoeg, the center of trade on the middle river. The Mogul, Ben Franklin and Great Western traveled the distance of eighteen miles in seven to ten hours. The Indian-powered, paddle-driven craft were claimed to have "good sailing and pulling qualities". The passenger fare was fifty cents and trips were made twice-weekly.

By 1849, the gold discovery in California caused a mass exodus of fortune- seekers. Those that stayed hurried to increase agriculture production to supply the miners needs. Sawmills and flour mills ran at maximum speed. Gold poured into the territory. Landings and ferries operated at full capacity.

Many of the landings were crude plank affairs under fir trees or anchored among willows that had no warehouses for storage. The grain and produce were stacked on the riverbank and had to be sheltered from the weather and guarded from thieving Indians and despoiling game. The more prosperous landings were those that had warehouses.

In 1940 Captain Arthur Riggs compiled a list of the landings on the Willamette River. They were published in 1973 in a book by Howard McKinley Corning entitled "Willamette Landings." The following list itemizes the landings, as they were located, from Clackamas County upriver to the Polk Co border.

WILLAMETTE RIVER LANDINGS IN MARION COUNTY
Buchanan's, now Kenyon's Landing. On the south side one mile below Butteville Landing.

Red Warehouse. One-fourth miles below Butteville on the south side.

Butteville (aka LaButte). On the south side or east shore of the river. Established in the 1840s by George Abernethy and Alanson Beers, it was little more than a river landing, with a warehouse and a few dwellings. During the flood of 1861 it incurred extensive damage. By the 1870s, most of the local agriculture was being shipped via the Oregon & California Railroad which had been constructed several miles to the east.

Dave Weston's Landing. On the south side, one and one-half miles below Champoeg.

Swan's Mill Landing. On the south side, one mile below Champoeg.

Champoeg Landing. On the south side, or east shore. Established as a grain shipping port, the warehouse at Champoeg, owned by Dr. McLoughlin, stood on the first ledge of the bank with one timbered end extending over the water. The site also contained a general store, a blacksmith shop and approximately a dozen cabins. It continued to prosper and grow until it was decimated by the November 1861 flood. By the time the waters drained away, it was observed that "the flood swept this town entirely clean of houses, and the site is now as bare as a sand beach." It was estimated that two hundred to three hundred and fifty houses and businesses were washed away. The town never recovered and the location today is occupied by the Champoeg Memorial Park.

Jim Eldridge Landing. On the south side, one-half mile above Champoeg.

Frank Osborne's Landing. On the south side across the river from Abernethy's Landing.

Everhart's Landing. On the south side, one-fourth mile above Frank Osborne's Landing.

Gearin's Landing. On the south side, three miles below Newberg.

Markley's Landing. On the south side or east shore.

Yeager's Landing. On the east side, at the head of Ash Island.

Ray's Landing. This landing on the east side, was the original Davidson's Landing. It was here that the steamer Elk's boiler exploded in 1875.

Hell-Roaring Smith's Landing. On the east side, one-fourth mile below Mission Landing.

St. Paul or Mission Landing. On the east bank.

Brantana's Landing. On the south side or east shore, one mile above Mission Landing.

Cantianna Bar and Landing. On the east side.

Coffey's Landing. On the east bank, across the river from Sager's.

Jackson Bend Landing and Warehouse. On the east side, about three miles above Coffey's Landing.

Phiester's Rock Landing. On the east bank, at upper end of Jackson Bend.

Durett's Landing. On the east shore, two miles below Fairfield.

Fairfield. On the east shore. With the increased harvest of wheat from French Pairie it became necessary to find a more convenient shipping point for the area farmers. Fairfield lay in a quiet arm of the river, protected by firs and spruce of enourmous size. By 1853 the landing had become a prosperous grain-shipping port with two warehouses. The November 1861 that destroyed so many of the landings had little effect on Fairfield and it continued to prosper into the early 1870s. From that point it gradually declined until it returned to being a small ranching community with orchards and livestock.

Imlaw's Landing. On the east side about one mile above Fairfield.

Eldridge's Warehouse Landing. On the east bank.

East Wheatland Landing or Lafollette Landing.

Garrison's Landing. One and one-fourth miles above Upper Wheatland, on east shore. This was the Lee Mission site.

Joe Simmons' Landing. On the east side, three and one-half miles above Wheatland.

Labische Landing. On east shore.

Spong's Landing. On the east side, across the river from Lincoln.

Kaiser's Landing. Three miles below Salem, on the east bank.

Salem. On the east bank, at the mouth of Mill Creek.

Brown's Island Landing. Just above Salem on east bank.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Surely there would have to be some goodies in some of those sites! :o You are a wealth of information!

didijim

Dec 13, 2006
Lincoln City Oregon
Detector(s) used
garrett 500xta
jeffro, do you suppose that there is still stuff around there????

I have looked these up on the net and in books, somewhat, not sure where exactly to go except at the salem park there. It is a big park down by the river. I have checked the playground there and not found anything yet. I go to salem a couple of times a month to shop LC has very little, I like to take my g/daughter to the merry-g-round (me too) lol,

there is a md club in salem/keizer area, wonder if they have ever tried in that area and if it is okay to dig in the park area. they have lots of things there in the summer, the bite, etc.

I will check around and see if I can find someone there.

let me know what you think????

blessings

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Best bet to check out these sites would be to visit the historical society and/or library and see if you can locate any old photographs of the sites with landmarks to place yourself in the hot spots.

I have yet to hit a landing, but I have heard they can be quite lucrative. Shipping up and down the Willamette was how most goods were transported at one time. Buying, trading and selling occurred at these landings in bulk, before I-5 and semi trucks took over.

foxtonames

May 21, 2007
Northwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro,
Boy, what a wealth of information! My PGS topo map program has a number of these landings located on the map, and I thought about investigating them but was not sure if they are on public or private land. It seems to me that there is a certain amount of river bank that is public even if there is private land that adjoins the river. Is this correct?
It also appears that most of these sites would only be accessable from the river.
Sincerely,
Foxtonames

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
All waterways in Oregon are consider public rights of ways. You are on public land up to the high water mark, at least. Private property owners are sometimes (actually MOST times) not aware of this. I respect private property and avoid the conflict whenever possible.

Search for access on public roads first. If no public access is available, consider contacting the landowner and asking permission. I usually ask in person and approach them looking presentable, without my detector in hand. Its real easy to say no to a letter or a faceless person on the phone.

I'd be real interested in that program you have- who makes it and where is it available?

foxtonames

May 21, 2007
Northwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro,
Thanks for the information on public rights of ways. That is what I seemed to recall but wanted to make sure.
The GPS program is “MapSend Topo for the United States V.4.20d”
Copyright 2002 THALES Navigation
It came with my Magellan Meridian GPS receiver.

Your list of landings is much greater than that which is on the MapSend program.
Some of the landings in your list are marked on the Topo program.
Here is what I have:
Shanks Landing N45deg. 17.96’ W122deg. 41.45’

Buchmans Landing N45deg. 17.33’ W122deg. 40.58’

Ottawa Landing N45deg. 18.11’ W122deg. 43.28’
Not on your list but marked Historical on my map.

Yeagers Landing N45deg. 15.83’ W122deg. 59.74’

Mission Landing N45deg. 13.37’ W122deg. 59.92’

Weston Landing N45deg. 12.12’ W123deg. 02.77’

Durettes Landing N45deg. 08.58’ W123deg. 01.65’

Eldridge Landing N45deg. 06.40’ W123deg. 00.23’

Simon Landing N45deg 03.38’ W123deg. 03.24’
May be Simmons?

Spongs Landing N45deg. 01.23’ W123deg. 04.28’

If you happen to go to any of the landings let us know what you find.

Foxtonames

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hi,

I'd be very interested in joining anyone who wanted to try to find and hunt these spots.

Thanks,

Mike in Eugene

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Jeffro, any luck locating the book in question?

Fishenfool

Feb 28, 2008
Salem, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, V3, BH
hi new to this site but live in salem and know a few of these spots such as spongs landing it is a park just north of salem. dont have a md yet but soon. but would still be willing to help someone find these places. also have a small boat I take out on the river all the time.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Welcome to the site! As you can see there are many helpful folks here and lots of info to share as well. I am quite certain you will find a hunting buddy in no time at all. I am on the other side of the mountain from you in Redmond. If you are over this way, let me know. We have a great treasure club over here and do outtings quite frequently. Can't wait til you get your detector and start posting some pics of your finds!

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Hey Jeffro,

Do you have info regarding 'landings' and/or 'ferrys' (ferries?) in Lane County? That would be Willamette and McKenzie crossings please.

I know you are a busy man, so...thanks, ahead of time. Any info will be appreciated.

Bud

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
BudP said:
Hey Jeffro,

Do you have info regarding 'landings' and/or 'ferrys' (ferries?) in Lane County? That would be Willamette and McKenzie crossings please.

I know you are a busy man, so...thanks, ahead of time. Any info will be appreciated.

Bud

Good question... I haven't been able so far to find out much about Lane county in particular and I think one reason is the riverboats were lucky to make it up as far as Eugene, as I understand. Before the dams went in up above on the Willamette and McKenzie, it was prone to flooding here and the Willamette changed course a lot. I think I recall reading about one that was near that park out by Coburg- is it Armitage? And of course Eugene proper was near the Ferry st. bridge close to where the trading post was. Now buried by the onramp on the west side of the river and a very popular spot with hoboes these days as far as I can tell.

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Thanks Jeffro

I have these scoped out.

Bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread