baker, oregon

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Davin, the Powder River west of Baker was dredged back in the day. There are huge tailing piles that run for several miles along the river's course. Every time Chris and I drive through there I want to stop and get out the detector. I have no idea how much of it is private land. We went through there again in October.
Jim

OP
OP
D

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks jim i was jst wondering about that area. as you mentioned it sounds like it would be a good place to check out with a detector
but would have to find out where and what is private land.
davin

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get the skinny, and I'll meet you over there next summer....Ha!
Jim

OP
OP
D

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim, i will try to get more info.
davin

OP
OP
D

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oregonmp03, thanks for the info. appreciate it. davin

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not a problem, haven't been over in that area before. It is just amazing to me how much dirt and gravel those old dredges moved back in the day and the fact you can still see where they dredged everywhere they could back then

I'm taking 9 days in May/June to go to Glacier national park in Montana and we'll be going through Sumpter and into Idaho. Hoping to even do some sapphire prospecting at Gem mountain just for the fun of it.

OP
OP
D

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really looking forward to getting out there again but just have to wait out winter, the snow and cold. lol

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tell me about it....8" snow the last 4 days, and it's supposed to be -9f in the morning.
Jim

OP
OP
D

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we got some pretty good snow up this way also with more on the way.
davin

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup.....more of a "normal" winter than we've had for several years. Coldest morning was day after Christmas...15.7 below. 10 below this morning, but mostly clear. 8" on the ground. The only good thing is our normally ugly wind hasn't shown up, so no drifting to speak of. I'm spending lots of time in the shop, working on my dry jig setup.
Jim

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a problem, haven't been over in that area before. It is just amazing to me how much dirt and gravel those old dredges moved back in the day and the fact you can still see where they dredged everywhere they could back then

I'm taking 9 days in May/June to go to Glacier national park in Montana and we'll be going through Sumpter and into Idaho. Hoping to even do some sapphire prospecting at Gem mountain just for the fun of it.
Gem Mountain has some of the most colorful sapphires in the world. They are small, but have every color of the rainbow, and sometimes you can find one of enough quality to have cut. I have around 300 cts of sapphires from all over Montana, still looking for "The ONE"!!! Hope you have fun! My family owns land that touches Glacier Park, and I will tell you the park is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me about it....8" snow the last 4 days, and it's supposed to be -9f in the morning.
Jim
Not trying to sound like I'm competing, we have 2 feet of snow here in Butte, and more on the way, it has made my life at work miserable, and it makes me think it will never go away so I can go treasure hunting. It is really depressing me lol!:BangHead:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd bet it got pretty cold up there, too. Butte is defintely not the "banana belt"...LOL Our snow has melted a bunch in the last week. Temps in the lower 30's. 20's at night. A bunch warmer than the 10+ below we had earlier. My outdoor thermometer hit -15.7 Dec. 26th.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread