Prospecting

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yes.

First, make sure the specific area is open for mineral exploration... that way you're not hanging yourself with your own rope!

Next, if you have indeed discovered promising evidence, and found no other claim stakes, clearly stake out the corners of your claim.

Get the forms and file them with the tax collector and the state.
County office girls will advise you what to get, and where.

There were blanket underlying Oil & Gas claims over the entire area my placer claims were on, but they were not in conflict, by nature of the affairs.

Govt STILL won't allow you to do a gazillion things you may wish to, such as build roads, or cut trees, etc.

Generally speaking!, you will not encounter too many problems until you attempt to patent a claim.
That, gets their attention...

HH
rmptr

..and I hope someone comes along with more specific information for your location!...

OP
OP
SilverSalmon

SilverSalmon

Mar 6, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
rmptr said:
Yes.

First, make sure the specific area is open for mineral exploration... that way you're not hanging yourself with your own rope!

Next, if you have indeed discovered promising evidence, and found no other claim stakes, clearly stake out the corners of your claim.

Get the forms and file them with the tax collector and the state.
County office girls will advise you what to get, and where.

There were blanket underlying Oil & Gas claims over the entire area my placer claims were on, but they were not in conflict, by nature of the affairs.

Govt STILL won't allow you to do a gazillion things you may wish to, such as build roads, or cut trees, etc.

Generally speaking!, you will not encounter too many problems until you attempt to patent a claim.
That, gets their attention...

HH
rmptr

..and I hope someone comes along with more specific information for your location!...

Thanks rmptr! Some good info. I know this spot is open to mineral collecting but I looked at a claim map on the internet and it looks as if it was a claim at one time but it has expired. I went to BLM website but it seems so confusing on how to make a claim...I was hoping they have a map down there you can look at all current or pending claims and then pick your spot?? We found a lot of fines last summer I'm hoping there's some nuggets lurking around there...

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Silver, sounds like you are in a better position than 1st described....

Take that info from the claim you have discovered and present it to the county people and see if it has expired... If so, you can pretty much copy their paperwork, or modify it to suite your own needs.

Gosh, I've forgotten all the necessary details, but I recall putting my brother and his daughters on the ownership of the claim to get more acreage. It's not uncommon.

I think the county 'Possessory interest' tax was $60 a year for the claim... $15 to file it at the beginning.
Can't recall and I'm afraid I'll steer you wrong! There's fees every step of the way, though.
And you must, at minimum, keep up your assessment work, and file proof of that with the BLM each year, and of course, pay the taxes which really aren't much.

If you have any sort of decent spot, that is accessible, best to move quickly...
Many claims are abandoned because of basic economics. With prices what they are today, you'll have plenty of competition for a decent spot.

Good luck!
rmptr

OP
OP
SilverSalmon

SilverSalmon

Mar 6, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks rmptr!

Sounds like I need to set some time aside to make it down to that county office first. That's kind of what I was confused about on the BLM website was how exactly you make a claim. So first go down to the county, record it, then go to the BLM. That's a lot of help I appreciate you takn' the time to reply!

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
SilverSalmon, for BLM controled land, download their claims packet. It has the basic regs and how-tos.

http://www.blm.gov/or/pubroom/files/ORWA-BLM-MINING-PACKET.pdf

Unfortunately there's no map of what's claimed or not claimed, and the BLM LR2000 system only gets it down to something like the quarter section, and even then is often out of date. County records are your best bet for current information, but the research can be tedious and time consuming. With past claim info you may be able to zero in a bit faster though.

We carry a book called Modern Prospecting; How to Find Claim and Sell Mineral Deposits that might also offer some insight.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions