Moving to Oregon soon

fishboymike

Jul 21, 2005
Athens, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 pro
Hey Oregonians,

My wife will be finishing up her masters soon and Oregon is our next target. How far out of Portland do you need to get til there is a little farming? We have chickens and would like to keep them. Next how is the economy there I have my own carpentry business and would like to make money. How is the fishing? How are the winters? how is the gold panning, how far do you have to get out of Portland? any replies would be appreciated.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Since you keep mentioning Portland I am guessing your lovely wife will be working in that area? The weather and such is extremely varied in Oregon. To stay close enough to Portland to commute you will need to live in the valley area, west of the mountains which is sure to give you many options plus it is far more populated then our side of the mountains. On the East side of the mtns we live in the high desert which is very similar to old time western movies in landscape and have a lot of different recreation opportunities....you will have to come visit sometime! Over in the valley area God keeps stuff watered a lot more and it is green and pretty when you get outside the city! Lots of fishing available in the state in most any area including going over to the coast and going fishing there. You will be fine with chickens as long as you are out of the city....lots of farmland surrounding the big city. The economy here is a tad scary just like anywhere else but you are likely to be able to find some carpentry work since you will be in the more populated section of the state. There is also some areas not far from Portland to get out and do some panning as well. Even the Sumpter and Baker area would be close enough to go spend a weekend. Hopefully I answered at least a few of your questions and I am sure there will be others that will be more informative that live closer to that area. Keep us informed of the big move!!

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
Oregon,Did you know it only "rains' twice a year---From Jan1st-June 1st--and from June2nd-Dec31st!!.Oregon,Tax capital of America--If there's a tax out there, we have it.Fed tax, state tax,county tax,Rain tax--yes rain tax, Corvallis Oregon taxes buildings roof diminsions and bills you for rain run off into the street drains.Your a builder--bad news, Linn county just approved a tax on new construction .25-per thousand for the schools.We give them alot of money through taxes, but they want more,seem's they can't balance their checkbook.So you like fishing!! Bad news-- They have shut down the entire Oregon, and Calif.coast to commercial and sport fishing.Seems like the fish can't find the way back to their home rivers--Have you ever seen Foreign Fishing trollers off our coast?????Sushi is in great demand!!! Not to mention 80-100 "Sea Lions" up 150miles from the ocean, eating the salmon, sturgeon, steelhead trout, at Bonniville Dam.I guess the best thing you can bring is your "chickens", I have some and their cool.I stay out of Portland as much as possible, I'm a country guy and thats my choice.Portland is nice if you can put up with the "Idiot Drivers". Seems like nobody can stay in one lane for more that 500ft!!! Eastern Oregon is my favorite place, but you have to go there to see why!!.All in all, hope you have a good move to Oregon. You'll like it here. Idig

indyflyer

Greenie
Aug 25, 2007
Don't be too concerned about the bad stuff Idig4beer says about Orygun (you better pronounce it right or we'll know you're from the east ::) ). The price of that little place in the country you want will scare you, within 75 miles of Portland you'll pay a HUGE bundle of greenbacks for any acres, like $70,000+ per acre. Alot of money for a bunch of hens to roost. Don't forget to look around in Washington state, just across the river from Portland, it's almost as nice as Oregon (but still expensive). Carpenters aren't real busy right now, the housing collapse has idled many contractors but remodel work can pay the bills.

There is a lot of good fishing, you might recognize some of it: large mouth bass, walleye, catfish & trout. The salmon aren't around much anymore, and do try the sturgeon on the Columbia.

drywalldave

Feb 6, 2008
redmond oregon
Well you heard all about the valley now here is how Eastern Oregon is. It also has two seasons COLD and HOT. Today was the first day of spring and there was snow on the ground that was not there last night. It is a good place to learn how to fly a kite, if you do not get frostbite first. Seeings that your from down south you have a thing called humidity, the closest thing we have is a humidifier. I've seen where we go a week in the winter and it does not get above 10 below, but in the summer it will make up for it when me have those 100 degree weeks. This used to be a peaceful easy going place until some flatlanders and southerners came up here and mess our economy up. Not a good time for construction here now. Well I hope I was of help explaining Eastern Oregon to ya... But we got Gold and Sunstones, and Fossils and Thundereggs so the hunting is good.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
fishboymike said:
Hey Oregonians,

My wife will be finishing up her masters soon and Oregon is our next target. How far out of Portland do you need to get til there is a little farming? We have chickens and would like to keep them. Next how is the economy there I have my own carpentry business and would like to make money. How is the fishing? How are the winters? how is the gold panning, how far do you have to get out of Portland? any replies would be appreciated.

There is farmland pretty close to Portland, but its spendy. The economy here is rapidly becoming like California. Fishing is still great on the rivers and coastal streams. Winters are a ton of rain, with a little snow every now and again. Closest decent gold from Portland is 100 miles or so south.

OP
OP
fishboymike

fishboymike

Jul 21, 2005
Athens, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 pro
Well thanks for all of your comments, to let you in on a secret I'm originally from Michigan and am used to really nasty winters. My wife is probably gonna teach psychology at one of the colleges there, thats why we are looking at Portland they seem to have lots of them. I have this thing about it being a big country and want to see a lot of it in my life and have always wanted to spend some time "out west" thats what we call it east of the Mississippi. Actually I dont do much new construction and opt for more remodel/restoration stuff so thats OK. Does it usually snow so much that a 1/2 hr 45 min commute is to much of a hassle? because I prefer to stay out of the city a bit, are there lots of small towns around? Once again thanks for your comments and would appreciate more.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Lots of small communities around Portland, and the snow isn't a hassle at all. Maybe one or two inches if it snows at all. Go on up to the mountains close by, and then you'll get plenty of snow. And yes, hippies are plentiful here, LOL!

OP
OP
fishboymike

fishboymike

Jul 21, 2005
Athens, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 pro
Uhm how do I put this... Hippies are good! and if you meet the right hippies, hippies are very good nudge, nudge, wink, wink, definitely not left wing but I'm so sick of the Bushies I'm thinking of converting. Man I'm impressed at how much you guys are writing back! I havent heard from this many people since I left the midwest southern hospitality my aztec.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
drywalldave said:
elkman13 said:
Feline Peachy He is Risen said:
Land of the left wingers, lots of retired hippies. Pretty though.
people always go around Mt Hood to the left
Hey .....We are a little to the right over here on the east side

We're a little to the right pretty much everywhere except Eugene and Portland, which unfortunately have most of the population and most of the vote. :wink:

And Mike, we're not talking about southern or even midwestern hippies, we're talking real died in the down head cases, LOL!

I swear its true!.jpg

Anyways, its a beautiful state with decent people for the most part. Lots of trees, not sticks like down there in Georgia. Rains a lot. Oregonians don't tan, they rust!

Attachments

• I swear its true!.jpg
    I swear its true!.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 377

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Hey .....We are a little to the right over here on the east side
[/quote]

That's the difference on the E-side. But we over here have to go LEFT to get RIGHT. :)

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Plenty of left and right, but there's some middle ground out here too.

Welcome to Oregon!

OP
OP
fishboymike

fishboymike

Jul 21, 2005
Athens, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 pro
Left or right it doesnt really matter thats everywhere. My politics are for the person not a party, right now they are both pissing me off. Am I the only one in the country that remembers when Bush came in gas was like $1.00 a gallon and now its over $3.00 per gallon, I wonder why the economy is garbage right now. it take like $60 to fill up and it used to cost $20. I run a lot of money thru my vehicles I could be putting into the economy.

SilverSalmon

Mar 6, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
fishboymike said:
Well thanks for all of your comments, to let you in on a secret I'm originally from Michigan and am used to really nasty winters. My wife is probably gonna teach psychology at one of the colleges there, thats why we are looking at Portland they seem to have lots of them. I have this thing about it being a big country and want to see a lot of it in my life and have always wanted to spend some time "out west" thats what we call it east of the Mississippi. Actually I dont do much new construction and opt for more remodel/restoration stuff so thats OK. Does it usually snow so much that a 1/2 hr 45 min commute is to much of a hassle? because I prefer to stay out of the city a bit, are there lots of small towns around? Once again thanks for your comments and would appreciate more.

Hey there Fishboymike!

I think you guys should take a look at the eastside in Portland. I live out in Troutdale but Corbett is right up the road about 10 minutes away and there's plenty of chicken country up there. I got my Bachelor in Psychology over at PSU so I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity for your wife there. Mt. Community College is also right here in Troutdale. The Sandy river has excellent salmon/stealhead fishing all the way from the mouth in Troutdale, up the river into the town of Sandy. I think you're gonna enjoy OryguN

~SilverSalmon

OP
OP
fishboymike

fishboymike

Jul 21, 2005
Athens, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 pro
Thanks SilverSalmon,

We plan on visiting out there this summer so that we don't come out there with our pants down. We are hoping once my wife finishes her masters she can find a college that will pay for our move. That's the way to go. We will definitely be in contact with you personally about opportunities in the Psychology field. Is there much going on in the research field there. Of course we will have many more questions I'll talk with my wife before I ask more, thanks again SS, That is the type of response I was hoping to get talk with you soon,. Mike

SilverSalmon

Mar 6, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
fishboymike said:
Thanks SilverSalmon,

We plan on visiting out there this summer so that we don't come out there with our pants down. We are hoping once my wife finishes her masters she can find a college that will pay for our move. That's the way to go. We will definitely be in contact with you personally about opportunities in the Psychology field. Is there much going on in the research field there. Of course we will have many more questions I'll talk with my wife before I ask more, thanks again SS, That is the type of response I was hoping to get talk with you soon,. Mike

I'm not sure about Psych research in Portland but I'm sure it's going on. A better bet would probably be up in Seattle for research. When I lived up there I heard about a hospital I think's it's called Seattle Mental Health Hospital? or Institute? I can't remember which one. Bad thing is Seattle is a lot more expensive for cost of living but on the flip side there's more opportunity. After I graduated with my bachelors in Psych and found out it didn't pay well and I was so sick of school I didn't even want to consider a Masters. So I'm in business to business sales where I get to use my degree in a little different way :D

P.S. typo on the community college in Troutdale it's Mt. Hood Community College

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread