good areas in columbia/clatsop counties

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Where you located Danny, I live outside of Astoria. Have some places to hunt but just haven't found the time yet to hit them.

foxtonames

May 21, 2007
Northwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danny1987,
Vernonia?! I thought I was the only one in town that MD'd.
Now I know why I don't find anything here. You've probably cleaned out the town. LOL
Foxtonames

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, with the floods there in Vernonia last winter, could be lots of things.
Park is open now, friends stayed overnight there a couple weeks ago.

OP
OP
D

danny1987

May 1, 2008
foxtonames said:
Danny1987,
Vernonia?! I thought I was the only one in town that MD'd.
Now I know why I don't find anything here. You've probably cleaned out the town. LOL
Foxtonames

I actually haven't detected in town yet. Have you ever tried the mill?

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if you are still interested. I grew up in the town of Westport, where the ferry goes across the river to Washington and I can tell you a thing or two about the town. Westport was a very busy town in the early 1900's with all the fishing and logging going on. During that time there was a large mill next to the ferry landing which included several small area's of different ethnic quarters. These people worked the mill and supplied the logs to the mill. Some were in the fishing trade and would bring the catches into Westport to sell the fish. The ships would come into the docks and load the lumber onto them. One village was located near the old boat landing just east of the ferry landing. It was called affectionately "Jap Village". During WWII the Japanese were interned like so many others and the buildings were torn down. As a kid I would explore the area with my brothers and friends and one day we found a silver dollar on the bank of the river next to the old site. The trees and briers have overgrown the site but the foundations can still be found if you look hard enough.
Just west of the mill site was a village known as Greek Village. You get the idea. Most people in the parts didn't take to foreign immigrants to kindly. The beach near here and between the mill at Wauna still carry's the name of Greek Beach or the locals would call it "the point." Just east of the mill near Plympton Creek run were a number of mill houses that once stood and are now gone. All this area is overgrown with brush and briers but can still be accessed.
Don't know if anyone is interested in this but it is a little history of the area. I live in Idaho now and have done so since 82 but I know the area very well and have many more stories about the place.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the site of the nuclear rector open?
Trojen was a landmark for me sailing but is new, 1970 or so.
I think they blew it up, the tall tower.
St. Helens has a small island and may be good hunting. Need a boat to get there.
Grey

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Trojan site was decommissioned many years ago but the site is still open to the public as far as the lake is concerned. Don't know about MD the site, pays to ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread