Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Re: Discovery TF900 VS White's TM808, Which 2 box is better

The Whites TM 800 was Discovery made it had a fast/slow mode. The features on the Discovery are better the newer Whites looks the same but its not. Dan :thumbsup:

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900

Of the few 2 boxes out there is discovery the best?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900

Any 2 box users out there?

goldguy

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2007

I've been using the TF900 and 808 since the late 90's. They're the same in terms of performance because they used to be from the same maker: Discovery. I can't comment on the latest White's 2 box (made in-house) because I've never used it.

I did pose the same question to a certain metal detector company who had "certified metal detector experts" on hand to answer queries. The terse reply was, "They are the same". Anyways, I bought another TF900 to replace the old one. It's cheaper than the 808. This new model doesn't have the meter like the old one, but the performance and build quality is just as good if not better (except for the battery compartment and the cover for the same which I had to modify so the battery holder wouldn't rattle, and made it a bit more moisture-proof).

I took the new TF900 out last week and it bawled at me loudly at a certain spot (sorry I can't say where). Dug down around 8 to 9 feet and found a coil of 1" cable with one frayed end. Busted my back and banged up my knee in the process which is why I'm cooling my heels in front of a computer instead of detecting and enjoying fresh air. If you use a 2 box, be prepared for a lot of toil or rent a backhoe. Most places I detect at are rather inaccessible to machinery, so it's 100% grunt work.

By the way, whichever unit you decide to purchase, here's a little tip: give it a nice coat of car polish; that will make it slippery and less prone to scratches if you have to push your way thru thick and thorny vegetation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread