Compass Coin Scanner Pro

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased this Compass at Ebay for $225. a couple months back. At first I didnt use it much as I have other Machines that I am more familiar with..
I own a Garrett Master Hunter,a Garrett GTAX 1250, A fisher CZ5, and a Compass Coin Scanner Pro....All are good machines...If I want to Hunt deep and wet or Dry I go with the CZ5............If I want to blank out PoP Tops on the surface down to 4 inches ,I go with the Master Hunter.........If I want toSearch in Low light......The 1250 will do the trick......But the more I took out and used that 10 year old Compass, the more I liked it....
At first the machine was a little confusing to me,not having come with an owners /operators manual.After using it on some sidewalk tear outs....I started to like it......You can swing it super fast, and not miss much if anything......I swing it much faster than my Garretts,or my CZ5,and cover alot of ground, AND FAST ! .....The Disc is great. After tinkering and experementing a bit......I found the Proper Disc settings ,so I dont miss any old Nickles or Indian Heads.... I dig very little trash with it , and Like I said I can search an area alot faster in a shorter period of time than I can with my others.....I am out in frount of my 2 detecting pals.....that use an XLT,and DFX Whites.......,,,,and I have yet to miss a find that they have picked up behind me,,,,,and they are always BEHIND ME !!!! I use it in combination with my other 3 machines,and it will go as deep as all but my CZ, and my buddy's Whites, but we have been searching areas where our finds have been 2-5 inches and some at 6" not many deeper than that......
Tommorrow when I go with my buddies....I will take it along and will search as much area as both of them together.....I hear from some sources that I can get it tweaked for more deepth.....So I may look in to that this winter...
.............. ;D.............HH All

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post, David.

Back in the old days (70's-80's) I always wanted to own a Compass but for some reason never did. They were the mean machines of their day.

There were other brands that also were mega big back then but most of them are gone now. There was a certain brand sold only via small magazine ads back in the 80's that I desperately wanted to try. I can't remember the name of the unit but they were quite expensive, as I recall. It was made by some small company. The ads mentioned detecting a BB at like 6 inches deep. Do you recall the name of that detector? I plan to get some old magazines and see if I can locate an old ad. I think Popular Mechanics always carried the ads in the early 80's. I'd love to find one on ebay and try it.

I learned years ago that depth is not the whole story with detectors. The speed of a machine is a major factor. Many of these do-dad machines today are so loaded down with gismo technology that they just confuse most people and show them down. They cover less ground, get fatigued, and miss lots of goodies.

Tell me more about your Compass.

Zeb

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine or machines that were advertized to find a BB @ 6" was the Compass Coin Scanner Pro (Mine) .....and the Discovery Baron modular unit . They still sell new Discovery Barons online.....I think it is now called the Discovvery ( Millinium Baron), and sells for a hefty $1000.00

They still sell a Compass Coin Scanner Pro ,but now its called the Coin Scanner Pro II,and goes for about $700 new...and is the same thing as my older Coin Scanner Pro,only with a Manual ground balance option.
I did see an ebay auction that ended just earlier this week ,for a Coin Scanner Pro .The Reserve was $275,with a Buy it Now for $300 I think it was..It ended with no bids. That is a shame,because I think it does out perform most of the Popular models that sell new for under $600.... I payed $225 for mine on ebay,and I think it was worth every penny.....
I DO have TOO many Metal detectors now tho......The Compass was # 4......and now I just won my first Whites Detector a 5 year old XLT.....I used my buddies for a little,and was impressed by its performance....The Compass is still a little faster on those sidewalk tear-outs tho......Now I will have to get rid of 3 of my 5 machines or my wife will have a hissy fit.
After much thought ,I am going to sell my two Garrett Detectors on ebay,and Then IF I HAVE TO.....I will sell my Compass,and keep my CZ-5 and XLT.
If You like the old analog type detectors you should try a compass coin scanner pro.The only 2 other analogs that I have heard do as well are the CZ-5 fisher,and either( the whites 6000 DI pro ,or the whites XLT Pro....same... same ?)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, McNickle.

Like you, I'm always looking for that special metal detector. I've had to limit my hunting due to low back problems but I'll always be messing with this stuff to some extent. Once this gets into your blood you can't shake it.

I'll check out those models you mentioned in your post.

Take care,

Zeb

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
Gardiner Electronics may be the 1980's "Cadillac of metal detectors" you were thinking of. I never owned one. One of their coils was a 36" round coi consisting of the wire loop and supporting brackets.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
dan_h said:
Gardiner Electronics may be the 1980's "Cadillac of metal detectors" you were thinking of.? I never owned one.? One of their coils was a 36" round coi consisting of the wire loop and supporting brackets.

That's it! You got it.

I remember wanting one of those in the worst way.

What ever happened to Gardner?

I'd sure like to get a scan of Gardiner's metal detector advertisement in the Popular Science (or any mag).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread