Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    us
    Nov 2009
    1 times

Re: Gold Century imported detectors?

I've also used the Gold Century 1023 (still have it) and it's as good as any detector I've ever used for the purpose of general coin shooting on land. In fact, in my opinion, it's better than some costing much more. While it looks like it came from a gumball machine it holds up surprisingly well.

But this is the only Chin made detector I've ever thought was worth anything. The others I tried were basically junk in my opinion.

teddy

us
    Oct 2007
    southeast tn
    fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax
    3 times

i now own 3 of the 1023, i bought them while i could get them before the price jumps too much, i think they are a good little detector (see my post earlier), only trouble is nancy beats me when she uses hers and i use one of my other machines, that is starting to piss me off. lol
    ps-- dont dare say she is just better than me
    if there was something to be down here, it got misplaced, hope its metal, a nice coin perhaps, now where's my detector

harold passed away 3/7/11 this is his companion Nancy i would like to keep in touch with you guys but i have no numbers feel free to call 423-618-1782 thank

au
    Enjoy Lfe. There is not much left as we know it.

Oct 2009
    Queensland
    Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
    2 times

The MD 1023 while being cheap has carved a good name for itself in Australia. It will easily work in hot ground where a lot of expensive ones will not.
    The thing you have to get used to is that it gives the same beep for a small or large target. It is quite light and simple controls make it one of the easiest to use detectors available. I have 2 of them. Even though the 1023 is cheap and has a primitive design circuit board, this makes it very easy to 'hot up' to make it even more sensitive to small gold. Just change the chips and a couple of resistors.
    Incidentally John, The Australian version MD1023 comes with a 12" coil as well as the 8" but they are not light. The coils are MATCHED to each individual detector therefore they may not be readily available as an independent purchase. We call them Gold Snoops and they are imported and sold by Jack Lange in North Queensland. There are 3 models. Check here... http://www.goldhunterdetectors.com/
    These have been Modified for Australian conditions by the manufacturer after extensive research with Jack.

The Cat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1023.JPG 
Views:	6366 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	348727  

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    53 times

Hey Wildcat, how come you guys get all the goodies?!?

I'd love to get that big coil on my 1023. I might even use it in the woods then!

au

Oct 2009
    Queensland
    2 times

LOL Lowbatts. I always thought you guys got all the goodies at half the price we pay! I haven't done much testing with the large coil, but what I have done, I do not think there is enough advantage over the small coil to make them worthwhile. Maybe OK for the beach but I haven't been there yet.
    Even tho they are sold as a matched pair, my coils still seem to work on each detector and I can't notice any sensitivity losses. I must have been lucky.
    I am of the opinion that there is little between an 8" coil and a 12" as you have better sensitivity with the smaller one and the loss of this sensitivity when you use a larger coil sometimes outweighs any gains. An exception to this may be when relic hunting.
    Cheers
    The Cat

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    53 times

Hey Wildcat, I use my 1023 almost exclusively in the pursuit of refined gold and silver (jewelry) and modern coinage in the totlots and playgrounds so yeah, the big coil would be a nice add-on for it.

It supplants my Fisher 1235X where there's EMI or too much ground chatter and does very well. My 1235 gets items as small as ear studs readily, but the 1023 goes at least as deep and accurate in ID, having recovered coins to 8 inches in woodchips and sand.

I am using the Fisher F70 and the CZ-20 in the dirt these days. The CZ in water and construction sites because it has reliability and deals with noise very well. I am however contemplating giving the 1023 a run in some of my more mineralized sites and if it does well there, it may also be useful to have that big coil. So come on now, pony up and get them guys to ship over here!

us
    Dec 2009

There used to be some guy here who called himself "Merf" I think. He was a big user of the 1023. What ever happened to him?

I too have used it and it still is one of my favorites. Like you guys I wish I could get that larger coil. I wrote to China about it but they won't sell the coil by itself. They told me something really interesting. They wrote that each coil must be precisely tuned to each machine even though the coil was originally engineered for the 1023.

This sounds a lot like what Nautilus has always claimed. Coils must be individually balanced to each machine.

digluv
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coil.jpg 
Views:	3731 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	352889  

au

Oct 2009
    Queensland
    2 times

Correct digluv, however, as I mentioned, I have 2 x 1023s. Both came with matched large coils as well, but I have swapped them and can not pick any difference in the operation between them.
    I see Jack lange is now offering large coils on his website. http://www.goldhunterdetectors.com/
    Maybe you guys that want them could talk to him. He is a bit of an expert with these things.

The Cat

us
    Jun 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Silver UMax

Has the 1023 been discontinued ??.......Or is it just on back order all over ??

us
    May 2009
    Florida
    Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
    1776 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by slyone10001
    Has the 1023 been discontinued ??.......Or is it just on back order all over ??
    There are some on ebay for $92 shipped.

us
    Dec 2010

Hello anyone have the GC1020 im getting this next week by mail and would like any info from a user thats used it
    Thanks Im new to all this and hope i got the rite one.

us
    Jan 2007
    Northern Illinois
    Whites XLT Tecnitiks Delta 400
    14 times

I just noticed this thread---Not too active on the forum but I am still loving the hobby.
    I have 2 of the GC 1023s-- I installed a 1/4 inch jack and a speaker switch on the one I use the most.
    I am getting too many detectors in my arsenal so I am listing one on E-Bay tonight.
    The only downside to the 1023 is the shaft is not very stable.
    I have rehunted sites with the 1023 and found targets that other detectors missed.
    These were sites with a lot of iron and hot rocks.
    The automatic GB on the 1023 makes it a great buy for a $100 detector.

mx
    Oct 2011
    1 times

I got q gc1016a yesterday....

will go to a gold hotspot here in NW Mexico to try it out.....

I like this thread....

it`s excellent!

Nov 2018
    Hi guys, I know nothing about metal detectors/ am new so pls be gentle

I was thinking of getting the DC-1023 you guys were talking about,

but then I saw this

What do you guys honestly think of it? Please anyone

(Things that are too good to be true usually are right - but it looks ok )

Otherwise I think I will just spend 8x more and get a decent detector

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links