IS A TREASURE HUNTER NAVIGATOR A GOOD STARTER?

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
Bearcat100 said:
:icon_scratch: I just got a new treasure hunter navigator for like 80 dollars. I am new to metal detecting and it is my first metal detector. WAS THAT A GOOD DEAL?

Hi and welcome,

This machine is a Chinese made detector. That doesn't mean it's bad. Some they're making these days are really good.

I usually buy either the top Tesoros or Minelabs myself but they are much more expensive. I do have a Chinese Gold Century 1023 and when it comes to basic coinshooting it can match or surpass $1000+ machines (down to about 7 inches deep).

So, take your machine out and learn it. The biggest thing you need to watch out for is getting negative thoughts about your machine in your head. Concentration is very important in this hobby and you won't concentrate if you start out with negative thoughts. So for now ignore the nay sayers.

Here's a basic test that will tell you a lot. Bury a clad quarter 6 inches deep and see if your machine can detect it with little discrimination and on full sensitivity. Make sure there is no metal in the ground at the test spot. Your unit has ground balance and GB plus discrimination will limit depth if there is iron at the spot.

I've always marveled over the fact that the Chinese can put auto ground balance into machines costing under $100. The auto GB in my 1023 is far superior to that in some expensive brands.

digluv

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread