Anyone have any input on the compass coinscanner pro?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woud like to see some opinions on this older detector. I see there have been some on here that used to talk more about the older compass machines but it is as though all of the post are older. Does anyone still use them? I just got one from a trade from another Tnet member. I like how it acts so far but have not taken it out for a real hunt yet. Can someone kind of compare it to some of the other machines they have used also? I kind of reminds me a bit of the Fisher detectors before they were taken over by bounty hunter or whoever they are. I like the analog meter also. I liked the older fishers and even the instruction manual seems very similar to Fisher also. Thanks Tim

MadJack

Sep 13, 2004
West central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440 & 540,Explorer II,SE Pro,Whites Eagle II SL 90,Wilson R & C II,Millennium Baron and Compass 77 auto legend project
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coinscanner pro is a fun to use metal detector. The closest metal detector that I can think of that even comes close is the big bud pro. Both are designed by George Payne. The cs pro shares the same tri-tones,autonotch and ground balance in the all metal mode. On the back of the cs pro is a plug. Remove it to access the GB pot.
My cs pro has the Keith Wills depth mod. It works very well in my ground. The compass coinscanners run at 13.77 khz. Very good in iron. I really like using mine. I seldom leave home without it. If you want to find really deep coins...don't use the notch,disc(trash out) at preset and only one tone. The meter light comes handy in low light hunting.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MadJack said:
The coinscanner pro is a fun to use metal detector. The closest metal detector that I can think of that even comes close is the big bud pro. Both are designed by George Payne. The cs pro shares the same tri-tones,autonotch and ground balance in the all metal mode. On the back of the cs pro is a plug. Remove it to access the GB pot.
My cs pro has the Keith Wills depth mod. It works very well in my ground. The compass coinscanners run at 13.77 khz. Very good in iron. I really like using mine. I seldom leave home without it. If you want to find really deep coins...don't use the notch,disc(trash out) at preset and only one tone. The meter light comes handy in low light hunting.

Hey Madjack I appreciate the advice.......On those deep coins with the signal tone setting selected, does the meter lock on? As far as the ground balance goes is it kind of an adjustable pot like on the whites detetors that you can adjust with a small screwdriver? I appreciate it, Tim

MadJack

Sep 13, 2004
West central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440 & 540,Explorer II,SE Pro,Whites Eagle II SL 90,Wilson R & C II,Millennium Baron and Compass 77 auto legend project
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The meter will lock on to about 6-7 inches on a dime. A little more on a quarter. I would dig anything that sounds weak and is deep(as indicated by the pinpoint touchpad). Like any other single frequency VLF Discriminator...most analogs are good to 6-7" on most targets. The deeper,weaker signals don't have the power to drive the needle to the right. Certain brands react differently. Most will read lower targets at deeper depths. To prove this...air test a dime with the cs pro using tri tones...the farther out you go to it's limits...the dime will read lower and the tone will drop to medium. The same thing happens to a Big Bud Pro,only the volume is a bit higher due to it's unique 'loud alert'.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you like driving around in a 57 chevy and prefer dancing at a sock hop then you will love that detector.

Most of us have progressed to the modern units that offer better discrimination and detection depth.
All in a lighter to swing package.

Nothing wrong with old school ... other than it is old school.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread