Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2012
    Upstate NY
    Harbor Freight 9 function Jetco Treasure Hawk (BFO) BH Tracker IV
    1 times
    Metal Detecting
    Just purchased the 9 function md from harbor freight and this far its pretty good. The descrimination work good and it pinpoints good also. A buddy of mine uses an ace 350 he was having a problem pinpointing a hit and called me over and said see if you can pinpoint this, it seems to be jumping around. I pinpointed the object and it turned out be a penny. Finds for 3 days thus far are: 2 quarters, 2 dimes, 5 pennies, several soda/beer cans, nails, bolts, a bullet casing, steel dog clasp, brass fishing spoon, 1 1/2 lb of steel, battery cable end, a knob, a piece of a leaf spring and foil. Would like to hear about some other users of the 9 finction hf md and their finds.
    dirtfisher likes this.

us
    Zapgarou

Apr 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Harbor Freight 9 Function Detector
    Metal Detecting
    I Had been looking at metal detectors for awhile to replace one that was lost in Katrina. I did not want to spend a whole lot of money on one since it would not be used often.
    So I purchased this 9 function model from Harbor Freight after reading the reviews here and on some of the treasure hunting sites.

So far it has performed just as good as the old one I had. It has more controls than my old one also.

Found mostly junk with it so far testing it out. That was to be expected. Testing it out with variours coins buried at differnet depths indicated that it could pick up a quarter at about 5". Not bad for this low cost detector.

Used it this week to locate my boundry markers on my property. As soon as I get a chance I'll go search around some old property to see what I can find.

I showed it to one of my co- workers and he also bought one. He said it worked good and found a bunch of old metal items around an old homestead on his propery up in Mississippi. Nothing valuable but it did find some old square headed nails and other old items he said. Best of all his son and him are having fun with it.

With my old detector I found many old items such as buttons off a shirt from the civil war, minnie balls, grape shot, old planatation tokens, and a small sword. I don't even remember the brand name, but it was also a cheap one. Like everyone say's it takes time to learn how to use any type of metal deterctor and you will dig up lots of junk.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on something you may not use too often then this one is good enough. Yea it's kind of flimsy and cheap looking, but for less than $50 it's a good bargain.

When I get time to do some detecting in a better location I will update this post on what we find with our Cheap-O HF detectors.
    I like a good challenge.................

us
    Apr 2012
    Upstate NY
    Harbor Freight 9 function Jetco Treasure Hawk (BFO) BH Tracker IV
    1 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have had my 9 function for about a month and have noticed its more sensitive to hot rocks. picked up a piece of slag or meteorite(?) that is attracted to a magnet yet has no signs of rust. it has a shiney bluish metal which can be seen where it had broke. my bh tracker iv doesnt pick it up on all metal setting, bit the 9 function does. It is a good machine, a little flimsy but could be beefed up. I would notice when i set it down or slightly bump coil it would chirp, so i filled coil wth expandable foam as done with more expensive coil units and it seemed to stop it. i think it may have had a loose coil winding.

Jun 2012
    I have the 9 function MD from HF. Not too bad of a machine. Found about five bucks in clad and these.I believe its just a kids ring but the merc was a nicer find and first silver coin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20120705_120629.png 
Views:	615 
Size:	278.4 KB 
ID:	651206

Name:	ForumRunner_20120705_120740.png 
Views:	692 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	651207
    Last edited by dandugwhat?; Jul 05, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

us
    Jan 2007
    Northen New Mexico
    don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
    105 times
    Metal Detecting
    I just purchased one for my grandsons birthday he'll turn 8 at the end of the month, and its not so heavy he won't beable to use it.
    Last edited by snakeyes; Jul 05, 2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    I took the road less traveled------------------- and now I'm lost
    The secret to a long life ....................... make sure the sailor at the helm can't swim

CAN YOU DIG IT ! yes I can

Jul 2012
    Massachusetts
    GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
    606 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    i have used this machine for 2 y now . on the 2 hunt i found a civil war button 8" down ....on other hunts i have found .2 silver dimes at 5 " down.. 1 silver quarter at 7 " down .small silver ring at 4" down ..silver pendant the size of quarter at 4 " down .. oldies coin 1862 Indian head penny.. lots of wheat penny's and lots and lots of clad coins . no gold but lots of pull tabs lol.i have the 16 $ pin pointer to and it helps out big time . this machine has payed for it self on the 2 day out .now im looking for somthing new but i would have to pay 300 or more to get a good upgrade from this 50$ machine lol
    dirtfisher likes this.

CAN YOU DIG IT ! yes I can

Jul 2012
    Massachusetts
    GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
    606 times

Name:	2011-04-24_20-21-14_715.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	653710 here is the civil war button i found on my 2 hunt

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
    18 times
    I was in Harbor Freight the other day and asked the guy if they had any metal detectors. He said we have 2. So I looked at them and although they looked cheap the price on the 9 function wasn't but $45 so I said what the heck and bought it. When I got home to do some air tests I have to say I was really IMPRESSED. This machine actually had some pretty decent depth. The discrimination was really good on the unit and the coil looked to be decent quality as well. It has automatic ground balance every 45 seconds and has a 5.8 khz frequency. The only problem I have seen with the unit is all of the little areas dirt would get in under normal hunting so you have to be very careful with it. Other than that I find myself hunting with it in the near future just to see what it can do and letting others use it to hunt with me so I don't have to loan out my good detectors. lol
    Diggum' til they Dug!

us
    Jan 2012
    194 times
    I bought one of these a few years back and it was just garbage. HOWEVER... I understand that they have upgraded these devices in the last couple of years and they are supposed to be much better. So I'm glad to hear that the new ones are pretty decent.

Here is the manual for the older model that I have. As you can see it takes 3 9V batteries, has 5 different knobs that need to be tuned, and has push switches and multiple modes to deal with. Depth was really poor and getting the thing properly tuned is an absolute nightmare. It was a complete waste of money for me.

http://images.harborfreight.com/manu...3999/43149.PDF

Good luck with your new machine and thanks for sharing the info. We seem to always have our eyes open for that "diamond in the rough" so to speak. Most of the time it is true that you get what you pay for. In my case this was even worse than true in that what I got WASN'T worth what I even paid for it. But it sounds like the newer HF 9 function model is a decent value.

For what it's worth, the old 6 function detector was total junk too back in the day. I originally bought that one for around $35 and took it back immediately for the 9 function. I don't think they have upgraded that one as it still requires manual tuning. So I'd stick with the newer 9 function detector if it were me.

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TreasurePirate69 View Post
    I bought one of these a few years back and it was just garbage. HOWEVER... I understand that they have upgraded these devices in the last couple of years and they are supposed to be much better. So I'm glad to hear that the new ones are pretty decent.

Here is the manual for the older model that I have. As you can see it takes 3 9V batteries, has 5 different knobs that need to be tuned, and has push switches and multiple modes to deal with. Depth was really poor and getting the thing properly tuned is an absolute nightmare. It was a complete waste of money for me.

http://images.harborfreight.com/manu...3999/43149.PDF

Good luck with your new machine and thanks for sharing the info. We seem to always have our eyes open for that "diamond in the rough" so to speak. Most of the time it is true that you get what you pay for. In my case this was even worse than true in that what I got WASN'T worth what I even paid for it. But it sounds like the newer HF 9 function model is a decent value.

For what it's worth, the old 6 function detector was total junk too back in the day. I originally bought that one for around $35 and took it back immediately for the 9 function. I don't think they have upgraded that one as it still requires manual tuning. So I'd stick with the newer 9 function detector if it were me.
    I think you would have much more fun with the newer one. Sounds like the other one was a pain. This one is almost turn on and go. Funny thing is they say the coil is waterproof and can be submersed but it still looks like water can get in the coil from where the wire goes in. I don't know if they got something inside the coil around that wire to keep water from coming in or not so I'm not taking any chances. The ID meter doesn't really ID anything. When you get a signal it just swings all the way to the right no matter what it detects lol. But the tone is pleasant and it has an adjustable volume control which I like. I think for $45 bucks they made it the best quality that they could to still make a profit. I think they could have placed a 1/4" plug on there for the headphones instead of those tiny walkman type but I can use a converter and it shouldn't be a problem. I have yet to take it outside and see how it does compared to my other detectors but I have a week off all next week and am going to give it a shot.
    Diggum' til they Dug!

us
    Jan 2012
    194 times
    Sounds great. Be sure to check back and let us know how it goes. I'm always on the lookout for cheap detectors that can be purchased for kids and large groups.

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TreasurePirate69 View Post
    Sounds great. Be sure to check back and let us know how it goes. I'm always on the lookout for cheap detectors that can be purchased for kids and large groups.
    Well I went out in the yard with it today for about an hour and a half. Found a few pennies, a dime, a dremmel tool wheel, a few odds and ends of junk but I must say it handled itself pretty well. Discrimination worked exceptional and it seemed to have decent target separation. I was able to crank sensitivity all the way without any chatter here in VA soil. So far I have yet to find anything deeper than 6 inches with it. It hits hard on coins. All in all it gets a big thumbs up from me. Does exactly what it is designed to do. For $45 you can't go wrong. New improved version seems to work great
    TreasurePirate69 likes this.
    Diggum' til they Dug!

Charter Member
    us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
    2044 times
    I own one of these harbor freight detectors. It was a gift from my brother as he had used it and made some wild claims about it. If you read the manual, it says used for hunting nails in wood, seriously. But it is a real Metal Detector. It is good for coins in the park, which is what I have mostly been using my more expensive detector for. It has a handy little red button built into the handle to bring GB back. It is a very light and compact detector, can almost fit inside a small back pack. The handle adjustment wont take any abuse so don't over tighten it. The search coil is very small and can get into tight places. Its good on old iron also as you guys already know. I really like the way the needle would swing, and you can have a lot of fun playing with GB settings on this one. When I first started I wanted more depth and a big numbered screen. Now the guy with a $2500.00 detector is gonna tell you all sorts of negative stuff. He paid more so the parts must be superior, lol. What I suggest is learn this detector, understand what it is doing and how it works. This will help when and if you buy a new detector later on. A hand held pinpointer is just a detector also. Good luck.

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    18 times
    The newer 9 function metal detector from Harbor Freight no longer has ground balance settings to play with. Ground Balance is now automatic. The red button on top of the handle is for the pinpoint. HH
    TreasurePirate69 likes this.
    Diggum' til they Dug!

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    18 times
    Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector finds silver ring yesterday! Details in Today's Finds! Nice hunt yesterday!
    Diggum' til they Dug!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links