Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm actually glad that my detectors don't go very deep.. Most of my detecting is in people's yards or in city parks.. I can't dig a 2ft hole to recover a target.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing but "sour grapes". Older detectors were deeper in what? Air? playground sand? When it comes to detecting through mineralization that occurs everywhere, modern detector are MUCH deeper.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When you have gone through as many detectors as I have in 53 years of detecting since age 15 you will realise that newer is not always better. That digital is not always better than analogue and I can give an absolute guarantee that I have used 25 year old machines that utterly anihalate many of todays all metal vlf GB machines for depth in any ground that the oldie can be balanced over. No brand or model given as I don't want to start a big argument.

OP
OP
D

detectorman12

Sep 7, 2012
Hey,
Another bit of info that most of you guys don't know.
There was a few models of detectors in the 70's and early part of 80 that could get good signals on buried paper money.
I know of one man who actually made his living finding this paper money that elderly people buried in tupperware bowls.

When I was a detector dealer from 94 to 06, I would come across these detectors and would make bets with my customers and win every time.
I still have two of these detectors that I kept because they also have great depth.
The trick is the ink to make the money.
The higher denomination of bill, the more metal used in the bill. A hundred has more metal than a one.
Thanks.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had this one detector that I got back in the 70's. It was so deep it could actually detect the Earths core. I know because I dug to it more than once.

My other favorite was the one that would detect cheese. I went to the moon twice!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey,
Another bit of info that most of you guys don't know.
There was a few models of detectors in the 70's and early part of 80 that could get good signals on buried paper money.
I know of one man who actually made his living finding this paper money that elderly people buried in tupperware bowls.

When I was a detector dealer from 94 to 06, I would come across these detectors and would make bets with my customers and win every time.
I still have two of these detectors that I kept because they also have great depth.
The trick is the ink to make the money.
The higher denomination of bill, the more metal used in the bill. A hundred has more metal than a one.
Thanks.

Check post #12
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/other-brands/135545-1980s-treasure-hunter-phantom.html

Care to change the story?

OP
OP
D

detectorman12

Sep 7, 2012
Hey,

One of those detectors we talked about that can detect paper money is on EBay now.
The phantom.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
That helps explain why all those coins are still down there.

In all fairness, there are many reasons why coins are still down there, other than depth. Yesterday's detectors may well have been deeper, doesn't mean that the ground they covered are empty of shallow coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread