can i recomend an old md

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
hi I would like to recommend the rimatron viking 5 as an ideal starter md I was looking for a md that would work on the beach on wet sand black sand in areas loaded with with coke heavy in minerals all in all a tall order. After searching the web i came across the viking 5 the new one with beach mode then i discovered that the new viking 5 used basically the same circut board we are talking about a machine that made it premiere in 1976 thirty one years later on slight modifications on the board I thought to myself must be something kind of special saw one on ebay £21 pound I paid it arrived went to the spot on the beach i mentioned above set the controls tried the dry sand no prob moved on to the the black sand still not a squeak found copper no prob then I moved on to the area with the heavy iron content this detector completely ignored it and found a piece of alumium about the size of a 50p piece pieces of very thin copper wire etc. I have a lot of sites in mind where the heavy iron content is a problem thats where Iam heading the only prob with this detector is the depth at around 6inchs not great Will i update to the new Viking 5 you bet

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why waste your money on a detector that is not from one of the major brands. The most expensive thing you have to lose is the time you waste trying to use a detector that is hardly as good as an old TR. Just my thoughts................

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
very true sandman I recommed this detector because it works well on the beach and was cheap and as such is an ideal starter model both in terms of finding coins and operation. Iam a novice and I feel if I brought a more expensive machine with greater depth etc I may have just wasted my money which to me is equally as important as my time as I think i would have quickly went off the hobby. As it is I have found 20 coins in one day with this machine and have got the md bug bad out every spare minute this means one day I will get a much better model. We have to crawl before we walk I say by the way sandman big respect to you. Your name is one that gets a lot of use around here and I figure that there must be a reason for this mainly you are an expert dectectist who bags great finds so thanks for the advice

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As good as the Viking was in it's day, if something goes wrong with it there is no where to send it for repairs. It has trouble in the wet saltwater sand and becomes unstable. I've used many starter detectors and the advances in circuits today are great. The Garrett ACE is a fine detector that I'd have sold my soul for years ago. We are lucky to be able to purchase good detectors from manufactures that are still in business and can repair if need be.

Thanks for the kind words, but I find a lot because I don't work. All I do is detect and try to help anyone that asks for my help. This might save someone from making the same mistakes I have in the past, which were many. Lately I showed up at a beach minus the scoop and ended up trying to use my foot. So I am not out of the woods yet.

Good Luck to you.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
That is the forte of the older non motion machines, they will find stuff on heavily nail infested sites, and on black sand. So long as you don´t use them for anything else, you´re ok with it. I use a Viking 6DX2 just for that purpose, discriminate out the nails, and away I go. Otherwise I have an XP GoldMaxx Power, and an ACE 250, plus a chinese Hartman, which suprised me (Bought it for people to try detecting with), it´s as good as an ACE down to about 6 inches, after that the ACE beats it hands down.

markkyboy

Aug 16, 2010
rayredditch said:
....... I use a Viking 6DX2 just for that purpose, discriminate out the nails, and away I go........

Hi Rayredditch,
as per your quote above, i too have an old Viking 6DX2. I am a total newbie to the metal detecting scene and have been given a 6DX2 but with no user manual.
I managed to find a user manual for a similar model, but mainly i wanted to know what the Red Button on the underside near the battery cover does??, but a copy of the user manual (.pdf, etc) would be great or a pointer for a URL to d/l it myself....
Any help greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance
Markkyboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread