Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

EARTHLING

Aug 17, 2008
DALLAS TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SHADOW x5.... GOLDTRAX... D.P. WADER.... NAUTILUS DMC II B
yes..... i have used both the R1 and the CS5MX for about 1 week... CS5MX has a very fast recovery time and excellent depth characteristics works well on all types of soil...... if you go with the R1; WATCHOUT; they still have a ways to go on the processor that is in it... it is slow and does not recover as fast as the CS5MX but the CS5MX is one of the best all around detectors and can do wonders beach hunting and coin shooting

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend was thinking of buying the one that is reduced to $215.95. I told him to save his money

EARTHLING

Aug 17, 2008
DALLAS TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SHADOW x5.... GOLDTRAX... D.P. WADER.... NAUTILUS DMC II B
which one was he thinking of???? the CS5MX is a damn good detector.... i will guarantee it myself...... if he gets it and doesnt like it i will buy it from him... as long as it is the CS5MX.... i dont want any of the other ones..... you have this post for reference that i will buy it

P.S. and as long as it is in excellent condition

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
He wants the Billy Wyman machine, he does not want a Motion machine, no one else makes a motion machine anymore, or so thats what C-Scope says. C-Scope also swears that NO machine out there goes deeper than 6 inches, according to what my friend has been reading somewhere. He will be replacing a very worn out White's metal or mineral detector with the 4DB coil, that I sold him back in 1971, it only goes 2 inches on penny, 4 inches on a quarter. He is a really cheapo guy, when we hunt together, he always wants me to come check his signals to see if he should dig it or not, I told him, you figure it out! If I was sitting on the quality of coins he was sitting on, I would sell just one and buy the best machine a guy could get, and use the remainder to buy a new truck ;D.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other posts all talk of the motion machine range whilst you want to know about the non motion meter discriminators. The bottom of range model is the 990XD which is cheap and works well but the better choice is the 1220XD or the later 1220R which is a digital version.
If you buy second hand you may be able to pick up an old Metadec or the later CS 4ZX. Both allow either motion or non motion to be selected so in effect two machines in one. C-Scope were sold as Newforce in the U.S. for a few years so that's the other name to look for.

The drawback with the non motion/meter discriminators in the States is that they don't cope as well with high mineralisation as filtered motion machines. If your in a low or medium mineralisation area you should have no problems. They are better made than many detectors on the market and most models are rain and dust proof.
What upset many detector users was that C-Scope managed to get the Minelab ad withdrawn that showed one frequency going a couple of inches into the soil, two going a few more and multifrequency going way deeper by proving that on all but the most highly mineralised sites a single frequency could go as deep or deeper.

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that c.scope 3mx is almost as good as xp goldmaxx power for far less money and it is very simple to use. I have used c.scope 3mx in high iron sites with very good results and it has lightning fast recovery speed. :thumbsup:

Here is some useful c.scope 3mx reviews: http://metaldetectingworld.com/165-1-cs3mx.html

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3MX is a good motion machine at a very fair price. The only drawback is a lack of coils apart from the stock one.
The similar styled CS4PI is a bargain in the P.I. world. Again no coil choice but deep, light in weight and cheap to run.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Picked up a CS4PI on Ebay a month ago; Works well at the beach, good depth,stable threshold, sensitive to gold and silver, has PPS adjust and sensitivity adjust. it is well constructed but not waterproof. It is fitted with a non interchangeable 26cm coil.I do not know what the retail price is but I payed a little under $300 AU.
It seems to be a hassle free easy to use machine. I would not recomend it for iron mineralised gold fields but as a saltwater beach All Metal detector it seems like good value.
The variable PPS does allow for a bit of Discrimination ability but at the loss of some depth and sensitivity.
Adrian SS

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
I am leaning heavily towards a cs-3mx machine for my next purchase.I have some emails sent in to Norfolk Wolf,waiting to hear back from him to see if he has anything additional to ad about that machine.He gives it good reviews on his website,and the test video he has on youtube looks good to me.Just wondering how it does on the bigger iron?

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deese said:
I am leaning heavily towards a cs-3mx machine for my next purchase.I have some emails sent in to Norfolk Wolf,waiting to hear back from him to see if he has anything additional to ad about that machine.He gives it good reviews on his website,and the test video he has on youtube looks good to me.Just wondering how it does on the bigger iron?

Hello Deese, i asked my fellow metal detectonist who has more experience using c.scope 3mx,that while discriminating iron out,bigger iron gives broken signal if the machine cannot totally discriminate it out,so if target doesnt sound good,it is probably big iron or similar bad target. :sign13:

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
HI

I live in Europe and have been using C Scope detectors since 1994.

I ran the CS 2 MX several years to my entire satisfaction.

The 3 MX isn't much different. They are fast, give good depth and are great relic hunters. The 3MX has hipmount facility and should be very light to use.

The disc knob starts with a true all metal mode. Turning it higher will first generate a click. At this moment, the unit will accept iron alloys while rejecting pure iron. You could compare this with the ED 180 disc from Tesoro ( both are to me the best discs on the market).

This is very useful when looking for relics.

The unit is a 17 Khz detector, which makes it sensitive to small gold.

Sure you will enjoy it ! :icon_thumleft:

HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3MX is a good motion machine at a very fair price. The only drawback is a lack of coils apart from the stock one.
The similar styled CS4PI is a bargain in the P.I. world. Again no coil choice but deep, light in weight and cheap to run.

C.Scope cs3mx modification:

1) Remover the batteries, then the screws from front of the machine.

2) Carefully ease off the front panel (no need to remove contol knobs).

3) Disconnect the plug from the detector component board (marked PL2)

4) Push the cable, together with the tapered rubber grommet, back into the main box. Then ease the grommet a few inches back down the cable (toward the detector head). Snip the cable approx one inch, or you could leave it longer, away from the cable-tie (in the direction of the detector head).

5) Remove the outer cover on both ends of the wire which you have just cut (approx half an inch, not critical), remove the blue plastic/silver shielding which is wrapped around the pairs of wires, then bare the ends of the 4 wires ready for soldering to the plug and socket. The 5th, a ground wire, is already bared

6) Carefully, and taking your time, enlarge the hole through which the rubber grommet passed, this needs to be just slightly larger that the socket which you are about to fit. Remove the nut from the socket (thats the female one) and discard the spring washer, if present. Place the nut over the cable and feed the cable through the hole in the case. Solder all 5 wires to the socket (the one`s from inside the control box), wrap a little electrical tape around the wires so as to prevent the possibility of them shorting out on anything that may accidently come in contact with them. Locate the socket in the detector case then srew on the nut tightly so as to hold it in place. If you forget to put the nut over the wires before soldering them to the socket you will have to unsolder them and do it all again! Note, you may wish to add a thin rubber washer to the socket before locating it in the hole in the casing so as to prevent the ingress of water etc. MAKE A DRAWING OF THE (FEMALE) SOCKET FOR FUTURE REF, so you know which coloured wire it attached to which pin. Plug the lead, PL2, back into the detector component board.

7) Solder the 5 wires from the detector head to the (male) plug, making sure that the colours match with the corresponding colour/pin on the (female) socket i.e black to black, red to red, wrap a little electrical tape around the bare wires to prevent shorting, then screw on the outer casing and tighten the cable relief screws.

8) Scew the control panel back onto the detector casing and jobs done.

The machine has been tested and there is no difference whatsoever in its performance that I can detect (no pun intended) and by modifying it in this way it prevents the kinks and twists that build up in the cable when it was permanently attached to the control box. The other benefit is obvious, you can use other c.scope search heads simply by cutting off the plug connecting a 5-pin one.

Parts bought:

5pcs GX12 12mm Male and Female Metal Aviation Plug Socket Connector 5p 4p 3p 2p
£3.34 free p&p from China (seller: electronics_lee - You need to select the 5-pin option, very quick delivery)

Also purchased a bottle of (medium) threadlock to prevent the inner section of the male plug from unscrewing during use, usually, these connectors have a small screw to do this, but not present on these connectors.

If you decide to carry out this simple modification I accept no responsibility whatsoever if anything goes wrong, you do so out of your own choice.

1 - Remove screws.JPG

2 - PL2 Connection.jpg 3 - Socket mounted - interior.jpg 4 - Socket mounted - exterior.jpg 5 - Socket profile.jpg 6 - Job done  - 1.jpg 7 - Job done - 2.JPG 8 - Socket & Plug.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions