Heathkit Cointrack GD-1190

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Heathkit GD-1190 that I used for several years back in the early 80's. It doesn't work anymore (can't align it) and I would love to use it again especially with my young daughter(s). Does anyone know if it's worth trying to get this detector repaired? How does this unit rate as compared with a cheapie? From what I remember, its performance was not bad and it could reject some undesireable metals. I would love to get back into treasure hunting. Should I just go for something new? Maybe the Garret 150 0r 250?

Thanks!
Jon

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Johnnoh said:
I have a Heathkit GD-1190 that I used for several years back in the early 80's. It doesn't work anymore (can't align it) and I would love to use it again especially with my young daughter(s). Does anyone know if it's worth trying to get this detector repaired? How does this unit rate as compared with a cheapie? From what I remember, its performance was not bad and it could reject some undesireable metals. I would love to get back into treasure hunting. Should I just go for something new? Maybe the Garret 150 0r 250?

Thanks!
Jon

Jon, repair work isn't cheap so I'd recommend moving on to a newer machine.

I hear the Ace 250 is well liked by many. I prefer the Tesoro Silver uMax.

Which ever you choose you'll be surprised at how much detectors have changed.

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
Heathkit made ham radio equipment mostly. Before I threw it away I would offer it up on ebay. If you really want it fixed I would look toward the Ham radio community for help. Best to you, Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread