Lets Talk Nautilus Detectors - UpDate 2/17/09: Nautilus Air Test Video

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Re: Any Nautilus Detector Users Here?

Hey Badger

I believe it was Todd Marshall at White's Electronics who when showing me their lineup called the Nautiluses "awfully deep". That says a lot coming from White's main up front rep (AKA "Customer Service Agent"), especially when comparing them to Explorers (which he likes) and DFX's which he also likes.

Here is their phone number in case you might want to chat with Todd, and remember THIS is some real nasty soil here so if a White's rep likes it's depth - it might be a pretty good thing, you think?

541-367-6121

EasyMoney

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Deep relic manchine takes a lot of skill to use. When it's mastered nothing touches it. F75 comes close but not quite.

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005

I've never owned one but have thought of buying the IIBa. They now sell them from the factory with a White's rod type set up - the detector under a straight pole with a vertical hand grip on the top. Supposed to be much easier on the arm.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others

You bring up some good points Badger. And I wonder if your Nautie had the tuned circuitboard inside the coil, or perhaps a poor connection from coil cable to detector? The latter could have been the problem, in case it had been bumped somehow too hard or twisted too hard where it connects.

And as far as freshly buried coins go, when I brought buckets of Oregon high iron salt beach sand home to test all my detectors - the ONLY ones that would read (close) to the same at home in a test pot were the nugget hunting Compasses. All of the others (except for the cz-70) read deeper in the pots than at the beach, and by as much as 2" + difference too. The cz-70 read the LEAST in the pots - but it was the deepest-detecting on the actual beach.

BTW, I once knew a detector sales outfit where the owners would use the detectors for months at a time or got them back from someone else who had bought them and returned them, and then he'd clean them up and sell them as either new, or "display models". I repaired his detectors until I discovered his little evil trick. One day he got busted because one of the customers decided to open the box and he found all kinds of dirt inside it that wasn't showing outside. We all have to be real careful whenwe buy, don't we?

Someday soon I plan to get a IIBa. It's the one that I would like to play with and get to know the best. If White's main front counter man thinks it's deeper than DFX's and Explorers and uses that kind of language - then maybe it's something I need to learn about and master. So far the rest of everything else is little more than 2 cents difference between one detector and another... excepet for maybe a Nexus. In less than 2 years I will own a 30-50 ft (older) yacht and I know where there is 1500+ miles of fairly decent beach property to hunt in, and some of it that has not seen a footprint except for every few months (or years). A Nautie might be a good one to try there.

Take it easy all, and keep a watchful eye over your shoulder when using headphones.

EasyMoney

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The IIBa has nowhere near the depth of an Explorer. I got rid of mine and now have two IIB's and three coil sizes. Many E-Bay Nautilus detectors are no where near spec. but its often the coil which is easy to spot by how the coil balances.

You can't check the coil with the Ba. If you could people would buy that model and modify by putting adjustable sensitivity controls on the outside like the B. As it is you stuck with sensitivity of 9 (discrim.) and 3 (primary all metal search mode) which just doesn't cut it.

Nautilus's web site has been down for weeks which is odd when they should be pushing the new re shafted machines.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I use a 2B. I have an Explorer, Tejon, and XLT also. Guess which one I hunt with? The Nautilus. Why, because it is deeper, faster, and easier to use than the others. Now I love the Tejon and it's recovery speed is nearly as fast but when I want deep then I swing the 2B. It may not be as good in iron as the F75 but if you are serious about relics then you will eventually get one.
Mike

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

I've had two DMC IIB's (one new and one used). Both worked great for me. I have sent one in to have it retuned. Great depth, but very heavy if you didn't get the mods done to mount under the shaft.

Yeah, it's a pain to do so much to get it going, but have always done well with it. It would be even GREATer with an ID meter to check your signals without having to dig them, but at the depths I've dug stuff, it probably wouldn't ID right anyway.

I used to sell Whites and Tesoro and I use the Nautilus. I recently got aDFX to run around trashy areas and if I could afford it, I'd also get a Tejon again.

I have had several fields where one detector absolutely wouldn't work to my satisfaction but a different machine was great. In one field the Tejon would work where the IIb wouldn't and in another field the IIb would work and the Tejon wouldn't.

Anyway, that's my added info.

w

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I should have kept the Ba and modded it with the external controls for the sensitivity as one or two have done. Then just bought one II B. Then I would have had a loaner that would be easier to use for the less experienced.

It would also be interesting to see how they compared ie the electronic coil balancing v the human ear.

Anyone know when they swapped from black lower shafts to the white ?

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Give me a break 2ba are not as deep as the 2b. Its the same detector the 2ba has auto coil tune and they left the 2 sensitivity pots inside that are always left at 9 & 3 anyway.
Mass disinformation, I have had both they both hit the same.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not to good with your detectors then ?
I had a Ba for a couple of years and traded up to the DMC II-B for the extra depth it provides. Not many people have sensitivity controls and don't use them. Those that do get extra performance.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's

The sensitivity controls on the IIb make it MUCH deeper than the IIba.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say

I have the DMC II-B with the whites rod setup and like it. I tend to favor machines that hunt by sound guess thats why I like my Troy X5 so much beep & dig. Dan

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

...............I PREFER THE OLDER NAULTILUS's................ owned a DMC II years ago.........was a very deep seeker!! Currently I owned a MF and a later model LF...............both also deep-seekers but of course are more with the VLF/TR TYPE!!................JOE

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10

There is alot of feedback on the 2b and 2ba on this post,what about the other two current models? Does anybody use either of them?

Daleevr

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008

Hi, I am really considering a Nautilus 2B but am concerned if they are closing the doors. Has anyone heard anything else. There email has been shut down, can not find a phone number and no website anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Here's the phone number...910-897-7950. I believe one of the owners had a heart attack but is due back in the shop any day now. I plan on driving over there soon and will inquire about the website.
Mike

Daleevr

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008

Hi, I have made my mind up to about 90% of buying a Nautilus for mostly relic hunting but would like to ask one last question. I live in georgia, red clay. high mineralazation in some areas. What does everyone think of my choice and would you go for something else!

thanks,
Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread