black hils in south dakota

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Sorry for such a late reply but I just found out about this site today. I live in Rapid City SD. There are some pretty good nuggets found and some nice pickers, but as in most gold areas there is more flour than larger. Get a hold of Wally Slattery the VP of the Black Hills Prospectors Club. The club has some very nice claims and I have seen some nice gold come out of them.

Jim

Jarbacoagold

Feb 23, 2010
Jarabacoa
I used to live in Lead, Sd. Home of the Homestake Gold mine. Locals were always finding decent pickers and a few nuggets. Mainly smaller flakes and flour. I had some decent luck several outings.....

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you go into keystone an follow the river west ,I've done good panning also have found many many garnetts also .theres flour , an nuggets in the river.

Tank :icon_thumleft:

rexb

Greenie
Nov 26, 2005
I heard fairly recently folks started going up in the more remote areas of the black hills and finding substantially more gold than what was thought to have been left behind, some areas apparently not well pounded for gold or run over with metal detectors or even hit by the oldtimers for that matter either.

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro
I was just up ther and the GPAA claims have been getting hit hard by members and non-members. Lots of people goingback in the hills and having some luck. Don't know if they are getting permission or have claims but some research might pay off.

Kurt

Okiedigger

Greenie
Dec 6, 2007
I was there last year on the east side. Stay away from the east side, there's nothing but garnets and very, very little gold. BTW, I did find a couple of "silver" flakes in my pan and was wondering if they were actually silver? Any one pan silver there?

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have panned in the hills back in the 70's. We got lots of flakes and some silver stuff on the flakes. We found out that they used dredges with mercury and a lot of the small stuff got back in the streams. There is still a lot of Gold in the Hills. Homestake was taking core samples in the "spotted tail gulch" area.
There still has to be a lot of gold still there.
You need to get permission as the"northern hills farmers and ranchers association" is hard on trespassers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread