Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Falcon MD20
Garrett 1500
Fisher F2
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple of days ago I got a call from my friend Scott indicating that he and his lovely wife would be coming to my neck of the woods. He wanted to do some prospecting in this area and he suggested we get together. I should note at this point that I am in the middle of moving to a new home and doing the move one pick-up load at a time. Naturally, faced with a choice of moving furniture or playing in the dirt....I chose the dirt alternative.

I had noticed a possible prospecting site about 15 minutes from my house and was told by a friend that he had seen people searching for gold in the area. Scott and I decided to give the area a try despite the lack of water in the creek bed. There were pools of standing water left after the last rain and, at least we would have somewhere to pan.

We found some promising bedrock and started cleaning holes and cracks. Scott was thrilled with the results of his first pan...two nice, chunky bits of gold were gleaming at him from the bottom of the pan. My first spot at the edge of the bank yielded only some fly specks of gold so we moved to the center of the creekbed and started breaking bedrock. The results were encouraging. Instead of flakes and fines, we were getting slightly larger pieces of gold that were thick and chunky.

We only hunted for about three hours. Scott had a nice showing of gold in his snuffer bottle and was a happy camper.

I did a clean-up at home and was pleased with the gold from only 4 or 5 half buckets of material. When I re-ran my dirt a nice little picker showed up. (see pics)
newspotgold1947x674.jpg

newspotgold2532x377.jpg

You can bet that I will be returning to this spot soon.
Rick

Upvote 0

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: some times you do better when creeks are low!

goldfever1978

Sep 2, 2009
Concord, NC
Nice pics. I have found this year that the low creeks have helped me find more gold. I am checking spots I normally wouldn't see when the water is up. I started taking pictures of the creek beds while the water is low so I know where to dredge next time. I have been able to get an idea of what the currents may be doing below the surface. With all that being said, I know where I'd be prospecting next time from those pics! :icon_thumright: Good luck and I hope all your pans are full of gold! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread