Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Sep 2006
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro

How do you get gold out of clay?

I brought a bunch of clay home that I know has gold in it but it's a pain in the you know what. Is there any tricks for dealing with this stuff?

Thanks for any advice.

Kurt

us
    Jan 2008
    Villa Rica georgia
    gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
    53 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: How do you get gold out of clay?

you can use clay-b-gone ,or depending how much material . you can use classifier screens.put the material in and use another one to scrub the clay. i have that some have even boiled the material to release the fines out of clay. you can also read the thread about blue clay.....by hmmmmm hope this helps.
    no matter where you go,there you are!

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    1886 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

El cheapo paint mixer blade in a drill=less than $3 at home depot and your GOLDEN -jOHN

us
    Jun 2010
    142 times

Put all the clay into a plastic laundry tub, with lots of water. Toss in extra heavy granular sand. Put 5-10 drops of Jet Dry into it. Now put 1/2
    teaspoon full of non-sudsing ammonia in it. Break it all up with one of those construction potato masher things.

Now slowly pour off the milky water, and replace with clean water, over and over, until your tub gravel is fairly clean. Now sluice it, pan it, or whatever for your recovery.

Also, sodium silicate(liquid) also works well, I am told.

Clay is a real good gold catcher! Always test it out!

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    914 times

liquid detergent will work as well...maybe even better to release the bonding aspect of clay...
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

us
    Sep 2008

Lather, rinse, repeat. And as stated above, the paint mixer or drywall mud paddle is indespensible on larger amounts.

Mar 2011
    100 times

Had an idea. Why not ask someone who works in clay everyday how to dissolve it ? Like artists who work with pottery for instance. I'd think theyd have to know the easiest, safest and most cost effective way to dissolve clay. Maybe even arts and craft stores have some product or ideas. I'll let you know if i hear anything interesting.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    607 times

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewCatfish
    Had an idea. Why not ask someone who works in clay everyday how to dissolve it ? Like artists who work with pottery for instance. I'd think theyd have to know the easiest, safest and most cost effective way to dissolve clay. Maybe even arts and craft stores have some product or ideas. I'll let you know if i hear anything interesting.
    you were given the cheapest/easiest way to bust up clay and get rid of it! why go ask someone else unless you dont beleive it

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    914 times

Quote Originally Posted by russau
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewCatfish
    you were given the cheapest/easiest way to bust up clay and get rid of it! why go ask someone else unless you dont beleive it
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance

Mar 2011
    100 times

Got it. This is a cheap and simple solution. One sm. bottle of hydrogen peroxide to half a tube of toothpaste. Add a squirt of Dawn and a quart of water. Cost is about $2 dollars a gallon. Clay will liquefy, release the sand, gold and heavies and just pour out as muddy water. Got the tip from the geology department at Tulane University. Hydrogen peroxide and fluoride together liquefy clay. The Dawn just helps with separating things a little more. You don't need a bunch of expensive chemicals.

Tried this mixture out yesterday on some really thick nasty red clay that was driving me absolutely crazy. Works like a charm. Even thinking about patenting it under the product name "Clay Away".

Mar 2011
    100 times

P.S.

Figured guys who were interested in rocks would know how to get em outta clay. The professor guy was really helpful. I asked if i'd need something stronger more industrial to break up really hard, dry clay.. and he said yea. Try a hammer.

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    914 times

Don't ya just geotechnical humor...

Charter Member
    us
    My Hearts Desire

Nov 2010
    Camptonville, CA
    GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
    338 times
    Prospecting

i take the clay home let it sit in the sun for a couple of weeks
    then load all of it in a 45 gallon drum
    put a bunch of river rock in and tumble for 24 hours (eummmmm use a plastic drum, i learned the hard way)

I then use a dry washer ( i use a large fan to blow the dust away )
    or you can do it wet as well and then run over a shaker table but i fine that i have to change the water a lot
    Democracy is in its greatest danger when the public realizes it can vote itself benefits, Melman

us
    Jul 2010
    53 times

Cement mixer with some rocks. Doug.

us
    Feb 2011
    Tillamook, OR
    White's 4900/D Pro Plus
    23 times
    Prospecting

I like the hammer idea, it's very low tech plus you get to work out your aggression.

Gramps
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors