Digging deep cracks

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When working a crack with water in it, does the digging tools being used actually make the gold go deeper? I figure my twisting and prying with digging tools is disturbing the gravel in the crack, kind of stirring it up. This movement, I would assume, would allow the gold to go deeper, much like the shaking of a pan. Does anyone have any thoughts whether that happens or not and if so, what you do to make sure the bottom of the crack is completely cleaned out? Some of the cracks I have worked are over 2 feet deep. I know there are hand suction devices but I haven't had very good luck with them (there still appears to be gravel on the bottom of the crack when I'm done) and they often don't fit into the irregular shape of the crack.

Upvote 0

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the gold can get loose/suspended from agitation it will settle deeper.

When in water you just have to dig it out as much as you can, as for suction vacuums I made a simple one that you suck on to bring material into a container and drop it out so you dont suck it all the way through the tube.
I have different tips that I put on too.

I used it once, cleaned the water filled cracks out perfectly but I should mention that there was only fine material left like sand.

Thats from my limited knowledge, hope it helps some. :)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes,and you would be shocked as to how wedged in big gold can get in cracks.I have had some that I have spent a great amount of time digging out and had I not been under the water would have never seen or got.My advice is to build you a site tube and check every crack.Even a flat flake will lay down solid ....not stuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions