New panner

brettga2

Greenie
Dec 31, 2012
southeast georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I am a new panner and I have a few questions.

I went to a fast moving stream today in Southeast Ga. I boated up the stream looking for natural traps in bends and behind shoals,
every place I panned I found a lot of black sand but no gold of any kind so all I wound up with was some pictures, sore arms and four sheared shear pins on my outboard.

When I got bank home I checked the black sand with a magnet and it was not magnetic.
I also think I found some quartz but I need to upload my pictures so someone can verify if it's quartz or something else.

Questions
#1- Is non magnetic black sand still a good indicator that gold is around or does it have to be magnetic to rule out some other mineral?

#2-I scrapped down with my pan and then panned that material. Did I dig deep enough to at least find some gold ?
Thanks

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi brettga2,
Welcone to the net. Black sand is made up of iron oxides. The more common being hemetite and magnatite. Magnatite is as the name says is magnetic, hemetite is not. Both are an indicator that gold may be present and will occur together with gold. You will almost always find black sand with gold but you won't always find gold with black sand. To answer your second question, you most likely didn't get deep enough if you only scraped into the material with your pan. You need to use a shovel and dig as deep as possible and to bedrock if you can find it. The deeper you dig the better the gold. I'm not familiar with Georgia geology as far as types of quartz but here in South Dakota our gold is associated with milky white and bluish gray granite quartz. Alot of other areas gold will be in milky white quartz. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

OP
OP
B

brettga2

Greenie
Dec 31, 2012
southeast georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks B H Prospector
I attached some pictures does anyone know if that is quartz ?
And does the black sand look good ?
I found the black sand in every spot I checked,
Thanks

black sand 1.JPG quartz1.JPG rapids2.JPG quartz 2.JPG

Last edited:

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you check behind boulders and large rocks?

OP
OP
B

brettga2

Greenie
Dec 31, 2012
southeast georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mattfink

Most of the boulders are under water or the water is deep behind them, on the boulders shallow enough to dig behind the flow is so strong it just blows the material out of the shovel.

The sides of the creek are solid rock and almost vertical so their are not too many pockets to catch anything, the black sand I found was behind several boulders where the water was shallow, I also found some black sand behind a few large trees thay had took root.

I think their is gold their I might just have to get a dredge to find it.
Thanks

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless that stream was loaded with gold you really did not dig deep enough.
Also I am not sure I've heard of much gold in southeast Georgia. The main gold belts are in northern Georgia and run from the northeast in a southwest direction through central Georgia.

GeorgiaGoldBeltsmap.jpg

There are over 500 “gold occurrence” locations listed for Georgia in the: USGSMineralResourcesDataSystem But only 19 placer mines. Check to see if there are any in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brettga2

Greenie
Dec 31, 2012
southeast georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it I found it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for everyones help it kept me motivated.

So I started up the creek this morning and it was fairly cold 1/2 mile up sheared a pin when I hit a rock paddled over installed new pin then I found me a small limb to jack the motor up some more and when I got to some fast water the motor was not deep enough to push the boat through the swify section so I pulled out the limb and you guessed it ! sheared the pin so I put in another and just waded in and pulled the boat through the swift section made it to the best looking spot and went to digging and panning and found nothing so I kept digging until I thought I was going to freeze to death so I shoveled my sand in a bucket and headed home to change clothes and warm up, once warm I got me a large plastic tote to pan over and I started panning the bucket I panned the whole bucket and did not find squat I was getting a little depressed so I grabbed the tote and started dumping it out and then I saw color in the sunlight and I thought WOW !!!! their it is.

So I raked everything back in the tote and started over this time I took my time panning.
Being a newbie at panning and lacking the experience I was just panning too fast and blowing the gold out of the pan, then gold is real fine even wet it's dusty and wind can blow it away.

Does anyone know how you are suppose to catch it ?
I think it would almost have to be caught through a filter like you use on your home drinking water.
Is it economically feasible to process and remove the gold ?
found it.JPG

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to be a downer but at 400 mag. the five biggest pieces in your pic appear to be cubed shape - if so its probably pyrite - hope i'm wrong.

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get the fine gold out of your pan you will need a snuffer bottle.

Also, check out the gold panning video thread. Some great videos in there on panning technique.

And be encouraged!!! Every experience is a learning experience. Research the areas you are going to and look for those low pressure areas that gold will drop out into.

Good Hunting!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brett, in most cases, if you did not dig until you hit bedrock, you probably did not dig deep enough. After hitting BR, use a homemade or store bought "shrimp gun" (an oversized snuffer bottle) to suck up the stuff you could not shovel off the rock. This is a very good method of sampling but this is best done in an area already known to contain gold. Don't give up! TTC

OP
OP
B

brettga2

Greenie
Dec 31, 2012
southeast georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fullpan

It's not a downer the bigger pieces are pyrite, but if you take out all the pyrite everything else in the pan is gold I guess it looks Red because it was cloudy and I don't have a flash on my phone.
Only the black specs are sand, the gold is more fine than flour.

I am only guessing the red fine stuff is gold it looks gold under a light and using a mag, I will know when I melt it down what it is and it may still be pyrite.
Thanks

OP
OP
B

brettga2

Greenie
Dec 31, 2012
southeast georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks soupfreak and TerryC

I am not going to give up and I am not in it to get rich I am in it to have fun with the family ! Heck they are just happy to dig around, set on the bank and throw rocks at me.

walldo

Jun 18, 2012
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Mine lab x terra 305
My 13 year old was excited on our first prospecting adventure. Did not find any gold , but I still have the pictures. PRICELESS!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread