New to panning and would like opinions on this area please?

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have a creek near the house in Dallas,Ga. It shows grapefruit to football size quartz,mica and black sand. I dug to buckets to take home and pan two weeks ago and got nothing but i had no clue where to dig. I went out this morning and dug another bucket of dirt(only one cause it was 32 degrees out when I went!)and still don't know if I was even close to digging in a good spot but I took pics this time so maybe someone could look and give me their opinion? These pics are taken going from road as I am walkin down stream and then back up.I dug to the left of where my bucket sits and down about 2 1/2' I think I was starting to scrape bedrock possibly....really need to get me some arm waders!LOL Thanks for any advice and suggestions in advance!

DSC06664_zps348342ca.jpg

DSC06665_zpsf31684e3.jpg

DSC06666_zps7fe3c849.jpg

DSC06668_zpsab3e894e.jpg

DSC06669_zps4cd5a6b5.jpg

DSC06670_zpsdc5c00aa.jpg

DSC06671_zps58320c15.jpg

DSC06672_zps0548106f.jpg

DSC06673_zps58bd5858.jpg

DSC06674_zps7d8f4ebe.jpg

DSC06675_zps964536bd.jpg

DSC06677_zps126a7a42.jpg

Upvote 0

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything I have been reading says to sample.... Sample then sample some more.

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a creek that looks quite similar near my home in VA. I have dug out a bucket just like you. Wasn't expecting to find any gold just practice my panning technique. good luck...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up too soon.... It may take 40 or 50 samples or more before you hit pay dirt.
Up and down the creek every 50-100 feet or so. All the sand bars, inside bends, gravel layers along steep banks, tree roots, etc.

Dig deep and then go deeper try to get to bed rock. Once you have prospected as far as you can up and down the creek and you still dont strike color move to another creek.

Hope no one told you prospecting would be easy :tongue3:

GG~

OP
OP
ejimbo4

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL! No, no one said it would be easy and I don't expect it to be! I love this! All though it was 32 degrees out when I got to it this morning....I really need to find me a pair of good arm length gloves and I will be good to go!That was the only reason for only getting one bucket this morning!

Color-blind

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great stream, your lucky to be able to dig without needing to go through snow and ice-makes me jealous and ready for spring! Is this an area that is known for gold? If so spend the time to get to know it, keep a journal and draw a map of all the curves and bends and keep track of your findings as you work up and down the stream, but most of all have fun, the real paydirt is just being out the color is just a shiny bonus!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for posting the pictures.

We just joined the GPAA and got our gold pan today. I've watched hundreds of videos on youtube. What a great resource. I've learned a lot and will get to try it out this spring when I head north to N.C.

I watched a couple of videos that explain hydraulics and the action in a river regarding gold. Very informative if you've not seen them yet. Helps to understand why you should dig where.

The creek you are at... is it on public property, just on the side of the road?

I'm never driving north again without a couple of buckets and my pan.

DannyD72

Jan 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I am not sure where Dallas, GA is, but the western side of the state is known to have gold. All of those gravel bars look great. They should act like a natural sluice and trap gold bearing dirt behind them on the upsteam side. Looking at where your bucket is, that may be part of the problem. You are too close to that bridge. When it was put in, that area was likely to have been changed by the equipment used(Cranes, backhoes, tractors, and dozers). Move away from the bridge a few hundred yards and keep trying. My father and I have been prospecting for a couple of years now, and while we have found some gold, it was never in large amounts. We have realized though, that when they build roads, they tend to muck up the ground for a few hundred yards in either direction on both sides. This will make it lees likely for you to find color near the bridges. If it is a fast running stream, it may have been replenished by simple erosion. If there are culvert pipes that go under the road, they can act as sluices also and trap gold in the ripples in the metal. Let me know if I have been of any help.
Dan

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some great videos on Youtube that show a creek just like that. They are Georgia prospectors and do a lot of sampling and give some good ideas on where to look.
Check em out.
Steve

nuggethunter

Sep 20, 2012
Temple, Ga
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in Temple, Ga and have done some panning in paulding co. the research i have done not much has been found around dallas most of what i have found has been in either north paulding or south paulding close to douglasville and villa rica but it was all private property. Keep digging you may come across a new spot, also get a gold map of Georgia that is how I got started looking in west ga it was very helpful plus i was able to find some good areas in north ga.

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
26.jpg

25.jpg

I'm not sure if these will enlarge if you click on them.

OP
OP
ejimbo4

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the help guys! I think I am going to leave this place alone for now and start off in a couple creeks that are known for gold and go from there. This creek isn't going anywhere!LOL What worries me the most is the whole private property thing and I don't want to be interrupted by a angry property owner. There are no drive ways close to this bridge but I am just not sure....any suggestions on how I go about finding out?I am new to this.

Last edited:

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can go on-line and search for your county's GIS. (Exp: Mecklenburg County GIS.) What this will do I tell you who owns the land, tax value, who much they bought it for etc. (Scarey isn't it!) Also a mailing address. (Only the land Owner can give you permission to be on the land. Not someone Renting/Leasing the property!) It will also provide a map of the property.

I find it best to write then call. If you just pull up to a house, you have already invaded their space.

I hope this helps. Charlotte49er (Brian @ Gold Rush Guys)

nuggethunter

Sep 20, 2012
Temple, Ga
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depending on where the creek is located if It is a state road you should have access to what's underneath the bridge, also check around for no trespassing signs. If you can find a house close you can always stop and ask about the property you might find what you are looking for

OP
OP
ejimbo4

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man that county GIS is awesome!!! Just what I was looking for! This creek is actually on private property but right down the street from my house so I am going to drop a letter in his mailbox and take it from there! Thanks for all the info and hopefully I hear back from him!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Charlotte49er/Brian - can you tell me the original source of that creek drawing that shows where to look for gold? ...I want to get permission to use it in a flyer for a non-profit I volunteer for - I teach panning to school kids :-)

Mine it and recycle it!

Laurie

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2013
Paulding Ga.
Detector(s) used
non
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL! No, no one said it would be easy and I don't expect it to be! I love this! All though it was 32 degrees out when I got to it this morning....I really need to find me a pair of good arm length gloves and I will be good to go!That was the only reason for only getting one bucket this morning!

I am also planning to pan in Dallas GA, same situation tons of white quartz on the west side of a creek behind my home. My understanding is that in Ga. you have free access to streams and lakes.
I think the flood 2 years ago may have removed a lot o the sediment in many of our creeks making panning more productive. I am curious about how far down you go when and if you find anything. I will do the same for you. I did not recognize the bridge in your pic. I am in N. Paulding close to the Bartow line. They turned up tons of white quartz developing our subdivision. I think it might be a good place to pan.

OP
OP
ejimbo4

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live off of Frey road.That is Possum Creek off of Ivey Gulledge Rd. If you ever want some company give me a shout! I have Sundays and Mondays off. I just ordered some 24" gloves so I can pan this winter!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread