Looking for some cons.

OhioKid

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for some cons to do a little home panning to try to get my girl into it.
Anyone have any they would want to sell?
or know a good source to get some?

Since I live in Ohio now, its not like I can head out to a stream and get my own.

I want to get her into it so if we move out west, we can have another fun thing to do other than hunting and fishing all the time.
I still have everything for us to pan, except dirt.

So just let me know.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
For now you could try and go out to a stream. Every state has gold in it, I live in WV and there has even been gold found downstate here.

doubled

Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search on glacial gold maps and maybe even add ohio somewhere in there. I am pretty sure that someone just the other day posted some with ohio included!

OP
OP
O

OhioKid

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there is gold in Ohio, but not much, and not where I am. hahaha

bigjamesinohio

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
I have looked at the glacial deposits in Ohio and they all seem to be in the southern part of the state. Unfortunately I live up north on the coast and am nowhere near any of these deposits. I have bought some paydirt online and have had some decent results. Good luck! And happy hunting!

rags-to-riches

Greenie
Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you in Ohio? I live near Ashland and there is plenty of placer gold around Ohio. I have a small creek by my house and have found some small flakes. The creek at its widest point is only probably 3' across. I have had better luck looking for gold where no one else has looked than going to these so called claims.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in Ashland, OH. Do you metal detect also? I am also interested in gold, but don't have prospecting equipment yet, just a metal detector that hates water.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in Ashland, OH. Do you metal detect also? I am also interested in gold, but don't have prospecting equipment yet, just a metal detector that hates water.

rags-to-riches

Greenie
Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy let me borrow his metal detector... it bores the hell out of me. Do you know where Jamison creek is? I've been wanting to try it out. Do you do any panning?

rags-to-riches

Greenie
Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never mind just read your post again. Go over to berringers in kidron. He has everything you need to get started.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I know where Jamison's is, did not know if taking was permitted there being a county park. I am game for it.

rags-to-riches

Greenie
Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure worse they could do is tell you that its not allowed. I may try it tomorrow.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok I went to Jamison's today. beautiful day, btw. I remember a lot more silt than I saw today. There is heavy erosion of sandy gravel banks/ alluvial deposits of same. Gravel is light colored, probably sandstone and limestone, occasional granite, and trace quartzite thrown in. Water was clear today, like Clear Fork, but this location clouds up with rain like a normal silty bed. Definitely recent flood activity ( within the last 5-10 years), with huge uprooted trees mid-stream. Creek is quite winding, deep pockets appear to be six to eight feet deep to just a few inches in the shallows. The width of the creek also varies but an average 10-30 ft across, I looked for "gold lines in the still water and riffles, but I did not spot any. There is scrap brick/other manmade ceramic material with the gravel. My guess is it is alluvial deposit and that the gravel bed is not a earth fill from a different site. Hope this helps. hh

rags-to-riches

Greenie
Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Your pretty smart on this stuff! We need to meet up so you can show me a few things. So what's the census... think its worth trying?

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
yes. I am just used to thinking of gold showing up with darker rock/sand.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I contacted Baringer's for a quote, still waiting, but I definately want to prospect for gold/silver. Reselling coins is a little dicey because there may be difference of opinion on on the condition of the coin, etc. Ore will be at whatever Fair Market Value is on a given day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread