Gold in Cazadero, Ca? austin creek...sonoma county? any insight from locals?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of gold on Austin creek, but guess it wont hurt to try. I have thought of that also, when driving by.

OP
OP
H

Hangtown

Jan 10, 2013
El dorado county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never heard of gold on Austin creek, but guess it wont hurt to try. I have thought of that also, when driving by.

A lot of private property seems to be an issue. There's a tons of gravel banks and heavy boulders in ripples. Little dry seasonal creek beds i might chase around. Ill keep you posted.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I dont think there is gold in that area, its not El Dorado! Be careful of the pot growers up there. I wouldnt wander around in the forest, may find lead. I had a slight confrontation with someone up that way, guess he thought I was looking for his pot, but I was just taking a p..s!

OP
OP
H

Hangtown

Jan 10, 2013
El dorado county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, I dont think there is gold in that area, its not El Dorado! Be careful of the pot growers up there. I wouldnt wander around in the forest, may find lead. I had a slight confrontation with someone up that way, guess he thought I was looking for his pot, but I was just taking a p..s!

Yea I know. Just worked the creek in front of our cabin. Didnt go into woods. As for the pot growers you just have to know a person or two plus carry your 1911 .45. In California there are pot growers everywhere. You get used to them.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I was up there around '73, lived in Guerneville. Lotta hippies there back then, refugees from the Haight-Ashbury in S.F. Got flooded out twice that winter, and moved to the Bay Area. Cazadero was kind of a renegade hideout back then, quite depressing.

I wouldn't even bother to stick a pan in the creek if I were you. Its all sandstone and sedimentary rock, not known for gold.

OP
OP
H

Hangtown

Jan 10, 2013
El dorado county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was up there around '73, lived in Guerneville. Lotta hippies there back then, refugees from the Haight-Ashbury in S.F. Got flooded out twice that winter, and moved to the Bay Area. Cazadero was kind of a renegade hideout back then, quite depressing.

I wouldn't even bother to stick a pan in the creek if I were you. Its all sandstone and sedimentary rock, not known for gold.

Yea. Di research before going and there were two Goldie's years back but did not produce much if any gold. Mostly just did it to have fun and see what came up. Gold is where you find it btw.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread