Heard the Lewis river has some as well as Capitol forest. Bob

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of SW washington? If you are near the coast you can find decent gold on the beach if you can find where the black sand is concentrated. If you're closer to Olympia I've found a lot of small creeks that hold a decent amount of really flat fines. I try out different locations almost every weekend, some are better than others but I can usually find at least some. My advice is try everywhere you can get to!

OP
OP
T

thumper7813

Mar 31, 2013
kelso wa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter / White's Coin master GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in kelso

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't panned down in that area yet, but if it was me I'd start by checking gravel bars along the Cowlitz river where ever you can get to them, and the Toutle river is close by too, and looking at a map it seems to have lots of nice looking spots relatively easy to access. And where the two rivers meet just north of Castle Rock would be a spot I'd like to check out. There's a nice big bend with lots of exposed gravels, but I wouldn't have a clue who owns the land so that might be something you'd want to check first. And looking at the Coweeman River there's some good looking spots on it as well. Just a matter of getting out there and looking. Spend a little time on Google earth and you'll start noticing all kinds of places you will want to check out.

OP
OP
T

thumper7813

Mar 31, 2013
kelso wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ty AlwaysBUSYJ been looking all over just not finding much wish the gas price would drop lol

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Washington for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
T

thumper7813

Mar 31, 2013
kelso wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking for the spot on the washington side of the columbia river that u can prospect i was told there is a big wall

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking for the spot on the washington side of the columbia river that u can prospect i was told there is a big wall

You might be talking about Cape Dissapointment? Right at the mouth of the Columbia river where it runs into the ocean, there is a big jetty and people go beach prospecting there. There is tons of really thick black sand so panning it by hand is a pretty difficult task, best way to go about getting the gold there is with a recirculating setup. Plenty of info out there about beach prospecting.

OP
OP
T

thumper7813

Mar 31, 2013
kelso wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told the place is on the side of a clif and it gets washed by the storms

Greenninja

Apr 7, 2020
Lewis River
Detector(s) used
Five senses
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, I’m new to this site and live on the Lewis. I see tons of silver and gold flakes and know the River very well. Can you give me some panning tips? Am I trying to get all the small flakes? I know I’m totally green, won’t be for long, please help! I’m just not sure how meticulous I should or shouldn’t be. I also find Indian artifacts in these areas. There are also several missing vessels, old HBC forts and other treasures!

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey there, I’m new to this site and live on the Lewis. I see tons of silver and gold flakes and know the River very well. Can you give me some panning tips? Am I trying to get all the small flakes? I know I’m totally green, won’t be for long, please help! I’m just not sure how meticulous I should or shouldn’t be. I also find Indian artifacts in these areas. There are also several missing vessels, old HBC forts and other treasures!

Welcome. The shiny flakes you see are almost certainly mica. You will need to actually pan some gravels down to see the small pieces of gold. As far as panning tips I would say get a pan (any pan), watch some videos, and practice. There are lots of good youtube videos that will give you an idea of what you're trying to do. It just comes down to trying it out and getting a feel for it. Just focus on the goal which is trying to get any gold that might be present to sink to the bottom of your pan and then trying to wash off whatever's on top.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you are looking for all kinds of treasure, you can't go too wrong in finding a geology source
of knowledge - mineralized rocks will get you close, but locations can be claimed, too, so read up on your area, and
follow your nose...!
Don't get disappointed, as a lot of work, get your rewards...!

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Definitely check out some youtube videos on panning. Once you see gold in your pan, you won't mistake anything else for it. Gold looks a certain way but also acts a certain way in your pan. I've never been there, but I've heard the East Fork Lewis River has some gold in it. Not sure how close you are to that but might be worth a try if you're in the area. Never have heard much about the main Lewis River, but doesn't hurt to try. I've found gold in my little urban back yard creek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread