Pans? green vs black

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been prospecting for a couple of years, but have used both pans. The green pans (garrett) have deeper grooves which are supposed to trap more gold if you are qwik panning. I recently purchased a Garrett pan and was able to process more material with more confidence. However I still like to use my black pan to finish panning when I get down to the black sands. Buy them both and experiment for yourself.

Good Luck,

David

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
green is easier on the eyes. most people prefer green because of that reason. long hours looking into your pan can make the eyes weary.

OP
OP
robgwv

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you saying they'll not be any gold above the black sand in the pan? I'm veay new at this.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you saying they'll not be any gold above the black sand in the pan? I'm veay new at this.

No, not if you're doing it right.

I agree that you need both. I use a 14inch Proline pan in the field and a whole stack of Keene 10" black pans at home for finish processing. Shop carefully for black pans...you want a nice smooth bottom - no ridges.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Thats right, green to sample and black to clean up. I also picked up a baby blue finish pan while i was in colorado. Its hard glass smooth plastic with a very shallow angle on the edges. This pan lets you remove layers of lighter sand very easily. Its much touchier than a regular pan but boy can u get the stupidly small 2-400 mesh stuff out.

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's like asking a baseball player what bat to use. The answer is whatever you feel most comfortable with. I've used a dozen different pans but I like the black pan with 3 riffles along the sides and a flat bottom. I use it for all stages of panning, no need to carry a bunch of different pans. Is it better than all the rest, yes, to me, because that is what I'm comfortable with. I don't like pans with crevises and catches in the bottom, they get in my way but others like them. Try a few out, if you're doing it close to right, they all work.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with spiller with one exception, I like the garret with the added ridge in the bottom. An added trap for the gold. That is just what I like. Everyone likes different pans for different reasons. It's a personal thing. I started with a steel pan, no traps, so you had to be good or loose the gold. So what ever floats you boat learn to use it like it is an extention of you hand.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've used a few colors but like green the best. It really makes that gold pop!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I gave up on my gold plated pan. It was too hard to see the nuggets in the pan. Easy to see the black sands though!

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use and prefer GREEN Trinity pans . I wish they would make a white one .

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lol yes I'd Take a white one!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold really stands out in the terra cotta pans. I prefer it to every other color.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i have tried the black pans at the local gold museum here. they are not bad, but i prefer my green Garret pans. much easier to see the black sand in my personal opinion.

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like others prefer green or blue but just preference.
I met a guy that swore by purple.
I don't think it matters as long as you sand your pan lightly or use river rocks and scratch it up a little when it's new.
That stupid coating when they are new is like panning on ice.
Lightly sand your pan again every so often too

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was young all I used was steel or copper and both work great for packing being that they don't break easily. I've broken a lot of the green Keene pans over the years and one blue proline. Then I had a thick plastic drop bottom pan that rolled itself into a hot dog in the back window of the car one day.

DSC00304.JPG
gold 001.jpg

I used the old copper pan for years and it is still one of my favorites for throwing into the back pack. I don't really like any of the Garrett pans just because they don't fit my style. I have them all but never use them so they are scattered out in the yard.
Dredge Trip 069.jpg
Dredging 8- 26-2006 009.jpg

I really like the Pioneer pan that Frank still makes for everyone. It's the black one in the picture though it comes in different colors. I like green but I really like the blue finishing pan the best over everything else for finish panning. As far as for regular panning it's just whatever I feel like using that day which is always either the green Keene pan or the Black Pioneer pan because they both have distinct differences for different styles on panning. As far as the Proline pan goes, it really doesn't measure up to these other 2. The Keene has 3 stages to choose from as well as the Pioneer and both work excellent.
8406.jpeg
DSCF0022.JPG

A pan is a pan... °°°No°°° all pans are different and some pans will work a lot better than others in certain situations. I used the black finish pans for years until I found the ultimate blue one :)
Here's a little video that shows the blue finishing pan in action.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome photos Reed thanks for sharing! Good gold and heavy pans!

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
I prefer black as for its very hard for me to see very fine gold in the green pan. I owe own both. I would say its a matter of preference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread