I have a question about knights ferry,ca and anyone who has panned there.

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
cheap harbor freight detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have herd that it is only pans and hand trowels.and also herd that its only pans and spoons?? a spoon just sounds so unproductive.
but in any case i have a few tools id like to use here and want to know what anyone has gotten away with here and not had hassle with them. like a small hand metal rake or a mini hoe or tools of that manor small in stature. a spoon would work for small stuff getting a few scoops from a crack/hole but use only a spoon for everything all day is discouraging to me. i would think a plastic and a metal hand shovel would be the main tools id LIKE too be using plus the 2 pans i have the 14 and 18 inch. Ive herd of people bringing in a sluice and having the ranger take his gold and that's what i want to avoid i don't mind taking risks but also don't want to ruin it for future panning there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To use LR2000, you need to understand how to read the maps; Meridians, Townships, Ranges, and Sections. If you are not sure, maybe we could meet up somewhere and I can show you or PM me your number and I'll call you. There is also a mapping program called Geocommunicator which I use in conjunction with LR2000. It took me a while to figure it out, that's why I don't mind helping others understand it. All prospectors, new and old, need to know how to use these programs to avoid claimjumping and trespassing.

i might have to take you up on that offer sometime here soon.

OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heading to knights ferry today hope the gold is to be found today. if anyone sees a guy with a green hiking back pack its me

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter "the Outback"
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey, thought I would an invite out. I will be going to Bagby, actually the north side of the bridge at Bagby, to prospect for titanium. You are welcome to join me. I will have my Saturn Vue, burnt orange in color.

OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well shoot thank you usher21 for the offer too bad i havent been on the site in forever to take you up on that offer. i have not been out since june. got a new job .

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would be fun to do ...once ($3/lb it wouldn't be worth two trips to me)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get down to the Stanislaus! Repeat, get down there! The low water state right now will expose areas of the river that have been under water for decades! Take the detector to the place where the old 49 crossed the river. That was the site of Melones, CA. (now some will be exposed). Pan areas below the Carson Hill mine! There were other mines that got "swallowed up" by the river. Their talings may still be there. DO NOT enter any old shafts! Just talked to a 70+ resident who will look for a history book he has on the river here. Hate to say this guys but how come a FLORIDIAN is putting you onto these ideas? Get creative! Low water..... closer to the river bottom.... statewide. Ok, I spent some time here and LOVE it! TTC

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get down to the Stanislaus! Repeat, get down there! The low water state right now will expose areas of the river that have been under water for decades! Take the detector to the place where the old 49 crossed the river. That was the site of Melones, CA. (now some will be exposed). Pan areas below the Carson Hill mine! There were other mines that got "swallowed up" by the river. Their talings may still be there. DO NOT enter any old shafts! Just talked to a 70+ resident who will look for a history book he has on the river here. Hate to say this guys but how come a FLORIDIAN is putting you onto these ideas? Get creative! Low water..... closer to the river bottom.... statewide. Ok, I spent some time here and LOVE it! TTC

Seeing how we just had more rain than we have had in 4 years I'm confused as how the river could be so low right now? Most people don't go chasing low water levels at this time of year, more in the fall.. is there something going on creating low water levels?

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
The water in the lower Stanislaus was raised in November for the Salmon run but has returned to an avg of 200 cfs. Has been that way for the last month. During the rains, I think the flow increased to 700 cfs temporarily. Even though we have had a lot of rain, it made very little impact on the creeks and rivers in tuolumne and stanislaus counties. We need a lot more storms like the one we had to get the rivers and creeks back to normal. So I would get and have been getting out there while the getting is good. In four months the spring run off will change everything. Go Get The Gold!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To use LR2000, you need to understand how to read the maps; Meridians, Townships, Ranges, and Sections. If you are not sure, maybe we could meet up somewhere and I can show you or PM me your number and I'll call you. There is also a mapping program called Geocommunicator which I use in conjunction with LR2000. It took me a while to figure it out, that's why I don't mind helping others understand it. All prospectors, new and old, need to know how to use these programs to avoid claimjumping and trespassing.

Very kind!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can use the LR2000 on the BLM website to find out what is claimed and what isn't. What I have discovered is that anywhere there is a road within a half mile from a creek, stream, or river, is claimed. If you don't mind packing in a mile or two, there is unclaimed ground. Be mindful of private property as well. BLM has tools to help you figure that out as well. Here is a pic of my take from highbanking last weekend on Sullivan Creek.

View attachment 967274

Another way(s) to figure out the LR2000 set up is call my brother TimC 1-480-322-4825. He knows the LR2000 better than anyone I know. Or... check out my archives to find a complete instruction page on how to negotiate the LR2000. (I asked TimC for the advice and wrote it for everyone). TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions