EZ Gold Pan

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Someone over at GPEX forum dredged up an old post where one guy had some gear including his gold pans stolen. Out of desperation he used a frisbee and was surprised when it actually quickly and efficiently concentrated the heavies. This brought to mind the ez pan. I don't remember for sure but it seems like the frisbee shape is at least similar since it has a concave rim. It would be useless for cleanups but may be useful for quick concentration like an ez pan.:dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Methods and devices to recover gold are as diverse and mirad as miners........:laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and how well does it work for aFinsihing pan. the guy at AM said this pan is an all in 1 pan you don't need toCarry another pan ever again. but how well does it hold onto the super fines. I'm planning on buying a Falcon finishing Pan Cause From what I've read and been told no piece of equipment out there including the blue bowl and blackmagic can come close to someone who knows how to use a finishing pan

So true and the price is right too...a great 10" finish pan is less than $3 anywhere they sell pans :)

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after watching the video and looking at the pan I decided to give it a shot.
After trying it out for about 20 minutes I'm Around 1 minute and I'm down to cons. this is the goofiest pan I've ever used but the way it works is outstanding. it holds onto everything and the little bumps at the bottom help break things up and clean everything real nice. my wife tried it out to. she usually likes her garret gravity trap pans. and then go to the keene dual for finnishing. she actually got mad at the EZ PAN. said there's no darn way that worked. haha she had to play with it for about 10 15 minutes before she was convinced. she thought it was a fluke but the more she used it the more she liked it. So definitely An A+ on this pan. super easy to learn and very very fast.
I'd definitely recommend this pan to pros and rookies alike.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It gets better after it has been seasoned.... When new it is EXTREMELY hydrophobic.
Ya gotta get that oil and gloss off the pan.. after that even more amazing.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after watching the video and looking at the pan I decided to give it a shot.
After trying it out for about 20 minutes I'm Around 1 minute and I'm down to cons. this is the goofiest pan I've ever used but the way it works is outstanding. it holds onto everything and the little bumps at the bottom help break things up and clean everything real nice. my wife tried it out to. she usually likes her garret gravity trap pans. and then go to the keene dual for finnishing. she actually got mad at the EZ PAN. said there's no darn way that worked. haha she had to play with it for about 10 15 minutes before she was convinced. she thought it was a fluke but the more she used it the more she liked it. So definitely An A+ on this pan. super easy to learn and very very fast.
I'd definitely recommend this pan to pros and rookies alike.

It gets better after it has been seasoned.... When new it is EXTREMELY hydrophobic.
Ya gotta get that oil and gloss off the pan.. after that even more amazing.

Good to hear, thanks! :icon_thumright:

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's the first thing I did was season it. the outside of its easy but around those bumps not so easy to season lol.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
that's the first thing I did was season it. the outside of its easy but around those bumps not so easy to season lol.

LOL ... ain't that the truth... I just used a strong detergent and 1/4" course gravel. then sat around shaking the thing.... took a break and came back later to shake some more. did that for a couple days off and on while everything just sat and soaked in between the shaken...

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice I did the same thing pretty much. just scrubbed the heck out of it with dawn soap and a green dish scrubby and then ran some dry home depot sand around in it. the outside part it done just the bumpy area is still in need of some more but I think after a few hours in the river this coming weekend I'll have it. the wife wants 1 for herself to. I think she found a new favorite. so that's been ordered.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
nice I did the same thing pretty much. just scrubbed the heck out of it with dawn soap and a green dish scrubby and then ran some dry home depot sand around in it. the outside part it done just the bumpy area is still in need of some more but I think after a few hours in the river this coming weekend I'll have it. the wife wants 1 for herself to. I think she found a new favorite. so that's been ordered.

:laughing7:.... Glad ya like that pan.... It is a goofy looking thing but it sure does work.... It must if it won your wife over....:laughing7:

I used TSP, then cleaned that out, and used Dawn to finish up with .... and yeah the little nubbies take a little time but that isn't an issue since they don't do anything to hold the gold they are just there to help break up clumps and keep things fluid.

As to that Home Depot sand ,,,, I saw a video where a guy was getting gold out of it too...... Ya just never know....:tongue3:

Last edited:

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've got 6 bags of that home depot sand. my Ex friend used to live with us and he had that idea. he went through every single bag and got nothing. but then again he couldn't pan to save his life. suppose to be a master prospector but took him a half hour to pan 1 pan. we used the same material and learned how to pan for our first time and just kept getting faster and faster. he'd get mad at us saying the slower you go the more chances you got in finding gold. we figured if the black sand was at the bottom then the gold would be to. no reason to spend an hour when it's had made its way to the bottom as long as the material was nice and clean and the material was stratified nicely.
we used to watch a bunch of YouTube video on panning and prospecting just to find out different ways and such and he'd get mad telling us those people will only lie to you on how to do things.
but the good thing about that sand is its what we use to practice. it's got black sand galore in it so its very handy. I'll stick a few small pieces of gold in it when where practicing and see how fast we can pan it down without loosing the gold. and it's pretty fast now with that EZ pan.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
I have bought about every style of gold pan made in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and Sweden in the past 22 years. They all work, some better than others. The factors more important than the particular gold pan are panning technique and patience. Since they all work, my deciding factor is usually durability of the pan itself. New Hampshire, where I do some prospecting in the summer, does NOT allow the use of a shovel to pick up gravel but rather specifically requires that a gold pan be used to scoop up gravel from the stream bed. This rule was obviously made up by someone who never understood the purpose of a gold pan. However, it is the rule, so I am sure to take a couple of the old fashioned sturdy metal gold pans with me to New Hampshire to keep the powers that be happy.

Page 2 of the following document gives the "scooping with a gold pan" rule for New Hampshire.

Last edited:

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does NOT allow the use of a shovel to pick up gravel but rather specifically requires that a gold pan be used to scoop up gravel from the stream bed.

You can't use a shovel, but you can get a dredge permit? What kind of permitting and restrictions are there on building sand castles?
Can you use an in stream sluice that isn't attached to a dredge, or a high banker?

Some rules and regs just make you want to bang your head against a wall.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
I called New Hampshire environmental last year and they confirmed that a non-powered hand sluice is considered in the same category as a dredge and requires a permit.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called New Hampshire environmental last year and they confirmed that a non-powered hand sluice is considered in the same category as a dredge and requires a permit.

But can you use a shovel with it? I guess nobody says you can't put a handle on your gold pan, and sharpen up one of the edges.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
They don't mention any other tools that are prohibited other than a shovel. I use a mason's trowel, dental picks, bent screwdrivers, etc. as well as a couple of turkey baster suckers so I guess I am legal. Most of the gold I find on the Baker River in Warren, NH is in bedrock crevices that were under water in the Spring runoff but high and dry later in the summer. They are technically not in the bank of the river, so I guess I am okay. New Hampshire used to be a conservative, live and let live, state, but, like Maine and Vermont, has been taken over by yuppies and other types from away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions