Lots of Images / I Need your Suggestions & Help.

nomorebeer

Greenie
Mar 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone. First of all, English is not primary language so i'm sorry about that. I hope i can explain what i want to tell.I'm reading this awesome forum in a couple weeks. I learn lots of info and tips here. Especially Lanny's topics and all others :). This is my very first gold panning exploration. I'm living Turkey and around my location lots of rivers and creeks there. I'm sending some images to you, so you can check and may tell me what you think about, i'll be happy.

When i reading forum, every question ask like "This creek has gold?", I read answerers ask this facts; "Is there any gold found and known before?" "Is There any old placer mines there?" "Is there any gold deposits discovered before" etc.. So i have to say this, in my country the old school gold mining, placer mining, dredging.. i have never heard or read anywhere. In my area never found any information about gold is around. I dig internet and do some reseach and never heard about kind of gold mining been done here. Even there is no gold panning web sites or forums there. I can say that probably no body did it past or doing this days. Bu if someone does, it's probably very very rare.

So i learn about where gold came from, where is the proper area to look for it, i know quartz veins is the key. And then gold is heavy, so the second key is the bedrock. Big rocks, inside bends, the places water slows down etc. The river i'm gonna work on, there is no bedrock shows itself. It's only some big rocks, clay, soil in the river bed.(Pictures shows everyting).

Well i have no info about this river, then i need to try everything by myself..

When i went to some exploration, it's winter...actually i didn't do lots of test pans.. only couple. But i knew, the test pans done on bedrock it's make it more proper. But there is no bedrock so i just dig a little bit like feet or so and i get realy good amount blacksand every half pan, and it was not that deep. The place i dig, i don't even get the water. The place nearly same level of the water but i can't even get water, so i mean i dig very small. (1 feet). And i knew i'm at the wrong side of the river, the outside bend... I couldn't cross the water to reach inside bend. There is a picture, not even half pan i got blacksand and little tiny iron pickers i get every time. And i tried behind big rocks, vertical clay layers and get same amount blacksand there too. But no bedrock, so i wasn't sure where i have to take samples, then i tried to get material around big rocks on clay layer. But the rock sizes not too big and nearly mixed homogene everywhere with clay(pictures shows vertical banks, picture 16 and 17 ).

I have some questions now;

1- Lets says there is some quartz formations.. Mineralized, oxidiced rocks, magnetites around, it's the certain proof ot there is gold in that stream, or not?. I mean if the all signs points there is gold, but it's possible the stream may NOT have any gold? (And please put your comments about what you think that rock formations on pictures, i'll glad :)

2- I read someting about fool bedrock or someting. Peoples says its hard clay layer.. But i can not regocnize it in the side vertical layer, how can i regocnize it? Every layer looks same to me. :\ (guess i need some experience)

3- Lets say there is paystreak created last flood. If the next flood is more powerfull, then the old paystreak will move to the downstream? I mean every flood makes new and different paystreaks (for this non bedrock type river)? (And i wish to know the answer is same for bedrock kind rivers too)

4- The pictures i sent, i didn't check the water level there may be a bedrock? Or the waterflow still digging the river bed? And this pictures shows the river bed like 100 feet deep some places, approx how long it takes to water flow dig the river bed that deep 100 years? or more?

5- Why ancient or old river beds is important? Why they may has more gold then the present water flow?(please check pictures 40,41....47). It might be old bed?

So i'm gonna go there again, but i need your suggestions. Please tell me what that pictures tells to you, and what i have to try on next trip. Do you need any certain pictures for next time? Your comments and suggestion very important for me. Thanks!:).

This picture of google image of river, and some info;
(Note: The pictures i sent, i marked some red and yellow circles, you can compare wtih this one)

00.jpg

Here is some pictures of river stream, and some rock formations;
Note:The rock formations i focus like have little veins on them, but i have to say that, nearly every rock have kind of veins.. I'm not sure this veins quartz or not, not sure it's sign for gold :)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg 25.jpg 27.jpg 28.jpg 29.jpg 31.jpg 32.jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg 35.jpg 36.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg

And last, i climb to the road, and cross it and take some pictures, might be old river bed?

40-1.jpg 41.jpg 42.jpg 43.jpg 44.jpg 46.jpg 47.jpg

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that Turkey? I had no idea.. Keep trying. It looks very promising but sometimes there just isn't any gold. That's why they invented fishing poles. Good Luck.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your area of the world has been somewhat civilized for over 2,000 years and Gold was on their radar even in ancient times. As you probably already know, there are Gold deposits in Turkey. Those areas may or may not have been known by the ancient cultures but if they were, the easy ones were probably exploited and may still be today. Geologists are still looking for new deposits but I think most of them are in proximity to known deposits.

Most of us (modern day prospectors) in the Western World go to areas known to have produced Gold in the past for our searches and that is probably your best methodology too. That said, it still is feasible you can find some where you are but I would not spend a lot of time in any single spot but do a lot of test panning in other areas too. All of the areas you have pictured are worthy of some testing as if there is Gold then they are where it would likely collect.

Keep in mind that Gold is often associated with other elements such as Copper, Silver, Lead, Platinum and many more. If there are known deposits of those in your area then there is a chance you may find Gold in those areas too.

It sound like you have done a lot of homework and I commend you on that.

Good luck!

PS: False bedrock is usually a layer of clay, caliche, etc. that overlies other sedimentary material which, in turn, overlies bedrock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nomorebeer

Greenie
Mar 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
rodoconnor, thanks for reply you make me laugh. :)

And arizau, thanks for your suggestions. Yes you right, i think i need to enlarge my area.. like you said i may try another rivers, creeks around. The problem is known old gold deposit places are far away from my city. Even no any other heavy* element mines or deposits known area close me. But i can say that, on the top of the muontain the creeks flows down the named "ULUDAĞ mountain" has very very huge "wolfram tungsten" mine. I did research about any conection between wolfram and gold, i didn't find anything. Thanks for reply so much! :)

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wolframite and other tungsten minerals occur in the Copper deposits in my area and those deposits also contain Silver and Gold. Who knows, you may find similar associations too.

Good luck.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your english is very good nomorebeer. :thumbsup:

arizau has some good advice. Look where gold has been found before. There are several well known Copper deposits in eastern Turkey with associated gold. Unfortunately those deposits don't produce free gold that you can pan.

My research suggests Kaymaz in Kutahya, Bokardagi, and Dikili in Izmir might be good areas to prospect.

You can find those records and more gold producing areas on the Land Matters World Gold Mines Map.

I am not up on current Turkish law but I was under the impression that the Turkish government owns all discovered minerals? You may want to look into the status of the land and mineral ownership before you proceed too far.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
N

nomorebeer

Greenie
Mar 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your reply Clay Diggins. I appreciated you did research just for me :) And big thanks for very very usefull website links, Landmatters and USGS. I'm gonna use both of them for research. And about law... laws seems not clear for getting materials, minerals as a person, non-corporate. It seems okay to getting minerals from non protected or out of private lands. When i get my first gold piece :), i'm gonna work on it too. Regards..

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

As others have said, if you can locate an area of known gold production, that will be a great place to start.

Since you're working a stream bed, focus on the normal areas gold gets trapped in. Always remember that you don't need to be on bedrock to find gold and remember that there can be many different pay layers (clay, hardpan, conglomerate, etc.) if it's deep to bedrock.

False bedrock is a hardened layer of deposition that won't allow the gold to pass through it. So, the gold gets forced down to that level and stays put. That doesn't mean that the gold won't be beneath the false bedrock as there may be an ancient deposit that predates the current hard pan or false bedrock. However, in some streams there is no gold below the false bedrock as it all depends on how and when the gold became available for deposition.

Remember the three rules of prospecting: Rule 1. Test: Rule 2. Test: Rule 3. Test All this means is that you'll get to be good friends with your pan as you try to find if there's gold around or not.

Keep reading the tips that forum members post on how to find the gold, and continue reading my various threads, including the one listed below my signature. That one is not purely dedicated to metal detecting, and there's lots of tips on prospecting for gold as well. (Thanks for your PM, private message, request.)

You should probably check out the general prospecting for gold thread as there's a lot of excellent helpful information on that thread too.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those cobble piles look very good. Look for areas of more rounded larger rocks. Work down in the stream bed also. Down from the large boulders.

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello NoMoreBeer,

Great pictures!

You had asked:
1- Lets says there is some quartz formations.. Mineralized, oxidiced rocks, magnetites around, it's the certain proof ot there is gold in that stream, or not?. I mean if the all signs points there is gold, but it's possible the stream may NOT have any gold? (And please put your comments about what you think that rock formations on pictures, i'll glad

You can find mineralized, oxidized rock with magnetites where there is no gold. As others have said, look for an area where gold has been found before.

2- I read someting about fool bedrock or someting. Peoples says its hard clay layer.. But i can not regocnize it in the side vertical layer, how can i regocnize it? Every layer looks same to me. :\ (guess i need some experience)

Bedrock is the solid rock under gravel and boulders in a river. I don't see bedrock in any of your pictures. Clay is much like mud is very fine grained, and usually found on top of bedrock.

3- Lets say there is paystreak created last flood. If the next flood is more powerfull, then the old paystreak will move to the downstream? I mean every flood makes new and different paystreaks (for this non bedrock type river)? (And i wish to know the answer is same for bedrock kind rivers too)

Think about what's happening when it floods. The river is just roaring and moving boulders along with smaller rocks. In your pictures it appears that that is what was happening, and then the water slowed and just dropped everything so that you have boulders, cobbles, rocks, and sand all mixed together. There probably won't be a paystreak in this. Everything is mixed together.
But, as the water level drops and slows, it will still be moving the smaller rocks. The smaller gravel and cobble will begin to sort by size, shape, and weight. This is when you'll see a paystreak. If the paystreak isn't on bedrock, then the next flood may just wash it down stream.

4- The pictures i sent, i didn't check the water level there may be a bedrock? Or the waterflow still digging the river bed? And this pictures shows the river bed like 100 feet deep some places, approx how long it takes to water flow dig the river bed that deep 100 years? or more?

Like I had said, I don't see any bedrock in your pictures. The bedrock could be inches under the gravel, or many feet under the gravel. Down at the stream you're likely to find bedrock poking out of the gravel.

5- Why ancient or old river beds is important? Why they may has more gold then the present water flow?(please check pictures 40,41....47). It might be old bed?

At least in parts of the western USA, the mountains have all changed. At one time, rivers were running in different directions. Some of these old rivers had a lot of gold in them. Now those old river beds may be at the top of mountains and the gold is still there.

In your picture with the red circle and blue pack, I'd say that the sand in the circle was left when the river was dropping and the gold had dropped out earlier. This sand looks like light weight sand. This is sorting, but it's probably too light of material to have gold. The gold would have dropped out before this sand. Maybe very small gold would be found there. There are some boulders in the upper right corner of that picture that might stop gold. I'd dig around those boulders to see if anything can be found.

One other point. tungsten is about the same weight as gold. I don't know if tungsten can be found in a nearly pure state, but if it can, you would be able to pan it out. If you can find tungsten, but not gold, then I'm sure there's no gold in that river. Also, if there is gold and tungsten mixed in your pan, you're going to have a very hard time seperating the gold.

Anyway, That's my opinion. Others may have better insight or advise. Hope you strike it rich!

Last edited:

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello NoMoreBeer,
This is the best post I've seen on reading a river. Hopefully, it will help you in your search
How To Read A Stream Or River

(I'm not sure if it's kosher to be posting links from another site. Somebody let me know if it's not)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you scraped any of the cracks in the bedrock? Or opened any of the cracks? The gravel I see looks like it has traveled quite a bit.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the satellite picture to upper right I see what looks like an old river channel.

OP
OP
N

nomorebeer

Greenie
Mar 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, goldog, benny and Goldwasher, thank you for your replies i'll consider this all your kind suggestions when i go to next trip.

Goldwasher, like i said, it looks there is no solid bedrock there, i didn't check the water level yet. But if i find it and any crevice on it, ofcourse i'll do some crevicing too. I know crevices are very nice trap for flakes even little nuggets. And the pictures i sent 41, 42... 47. it's the high side of the river cross the road actually left side of the picture green circle. But i haven't check the upper right. Kind of hard to reach there for short trip too.

And benny, thank you so much you answer my all questions and that awesome link, when i click i noticed i read it before when i google research. But that is really usefull link, thanks for share.

Last edited:

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in your searches, nomorebeer. Post some pics when you find the gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread