Worst prospecting day ever!!

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While exploring a new area I came across I very good looking area. Needless to say I fell and broke my middle finger, it even ripped off my whole finger nail. I still continued on panning down to the heavy's. And then I made the mistake of getting near a very brushy area and ran into a water snake with the attitude of a cobra. That little snake bit me over and over until I just swam away from the area. Needless to say that made it day over for me.

Now I have to pan out my cons and see if today was worth it. Today was the most painful day of panning I have ever had. Gonna take a few days off and go to the Gatesville meet on Saturday, hopefully with better luck

anyone else just had a horrible day like this?

Upvote 0

Methal

Aug 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First day panning ever. Ran into a rattle snake, (didn't get bit, thing scared the crap outta me though) Fell over a large boulder right down into the mud/water of the river I was trying to pan which tore the finger nail half off my index finger.
fun part was I had no idea how to pan all I found was black sand, and a few specs of what I thought was gold.
I'll never know though, somewhere floating down the river where I was is my snuffer bottle.....

Needless to say I had a bad into to panning =)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First day panning ever. Ran into a rattle snake, (didn't get bit, thing scared the crap outta me though) Fell over a large boulder right down into the mud/water of the river I was trying to pan which tore the finger nail half off my index finger.
fun part was I had no idea how to pan all I found was black sand, and a few specs of what I thought was gold.
I'll never know though, somewhere floating down the river where I was is my snuffer bottle.....

Needless to say I had a bad into to panning =)

Sorry to hear your first outing went so badly...but welcome to tnet anyway!

I'd strongly suggest you find a prospecting buddy. Maybe join a local club too.

Where do you live and where did you go panning?

Methal

Aug 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear your first outing went so badly...but welcome to tnet anyway!

I'd strongly suggest you find a prospecting buddy. Maybe join a local club too.

Where do you live and where did you go panning?

Pleasant Grove Ut. I was up American Fork Canyon when all this happened.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah right, I've been up there too. The gold there is very fine and a silvery color (due to being a gold & silver alloy actually) and eager to float if it gets dry for even just a moment...so it's a tricky place to prospect. You definitely want to find an experienced buddy.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think Smith and Wesson makes a product for dealing with snakes

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I broke my foot last year in January - crazy to think about because even now that area is under feet of snow. I also panned for a while before the tortuous hike out.

Worst is easily cleaning out an old mineshaft and breathing in decomposing poison oak leaf dust...that'll mess you up.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or blastomycosis from mold spores along rivers! Had me coughing up crap from June through October last year. Had a bad outbreak along rivers here in WI.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid we used to pour gas in the ground nests and light them on fire. If you have never seen a yellow jacket burst into flames while airborne get ready to live.

See, they are useful :laughing7:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Capt. Is that like a case of Goldomycosis. I get that quite often. It can turn into a real bad fever. And it takes a golden cure to get rid of it.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope! Antibiotics don't cure that....Just make it worse! Those pretty turquoise pills make you have to stay out of the sun for a couple of weeks.:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread