My first GPAA Claim try

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Well then, I'm out traveling for work again and find myself in Denver. I brought a small pan, my GTI-2500 and Lesche digger, along with a small folding hand shovel.

I didn't bring my GPAA book with me, just not enough room. My wife shoots me a claim near Idaho Springs CO which is 40 minutes west of Denver off of I-70.

I plotted out the claim on google earth, getting pretty close to the GPAA map book.

It's alongside Clear Springs, which only touches two small corners of the claim. The building in the upper center used to be a Girl Scout camp, but it's not there anymore.

The creek is very small, not enough water for a sluice, but I didn't have one anyhow.

This is a photo of the road leading into the claim. It starts at the powerlines and encompasses the hill ahead.

One entrance has this sign-

IMG_4313.jpg

I think I'm outside this spot, not positive though.

IMG_4312.jpg

Mistake #1.

Coming out unarmed... I think I was the only guy not pulling the trigger within a 5 mile radius. Some fella was cranking out 30 magazines as fast as he could, another one was steadily plinking away, a few handguns going off here and there... kind of unnerving.

It was a nice Sunday, so I suppose everyone was out blasting away.

Mistake #2.

Not having my .40 with me. I can only assume that everyone else figures everybody else has a gun, but it's unnerving at the least.

A lot of gunfire was coming from the hill ahead, and the gully to the east of the old camp, so I didn't head that way. Matter of fact, I didn't head anywhere into the claim. Way too much gunfire.

I detected near the old camp and got 3 cents, a half dozen different shell casings at different depths, numerous expelled projectiles, and only modern belt buckle. After an hour and a half of ducking, I left and played tourist.

Went to Buffalo Bill's grave site on Lookout mountain.

It was a good learning experience tho...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
S

stefen

Certain times of the year it best to stay out of the back country unless your wearing bright yellow or orange vest and hat...

The crazies are out plinking and limbering up for upland birds, flyways, deer and whatever else.

Your lucky you didn't get shot...kinda takes the fun out of enjoying nature...

Maybe pack reflective duct tape in yur bag the next time...

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Isnt it a requirement to carry your gpaa card/mining permit and claims guide book while on gpaa claims! I read somewhere in the guide or permit that this must be done or you can be removed from the location.....

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I m sorry; I missed your post. Had you put Denver or Colorado in the title and given us a bit of a heads up, I am sure some of us here in the local area could have met you and put you into a much nicer area to work. Had I been able to come up to Denver, I would have brought my a 30" Sniper BGT and my Le Trap and let you work with either. (Or my 48" Miner; there is probably enough water in the South Platte River to run it). :)

It is always nice to meet with other prospectors, especially those on TNet.

BTW, I don't think the GPAA claims are all that great in Colorado, though I could be wrong. I often am; ask my wife. :)

Dave

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your wife is right, no doubt...but so are you this time ;) From what I hear, the only GPAA claims worth visiting are on the Arkansas and the GPAA failed to do that paperwork,etc to allow dredging so it's sluice or highbanker only.

GIB, I have it on good authority there's almost no gold on that Idaho Springs claim. Sorry bro.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GIB,

Glad you didnt get shot....you should have had Treasure Hunter along for the ride and use him as a decoy....just make sure you can outrun him...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
He'll have 37 lbs of guns and twice that in ammo... it'll slow him down.

I expect he could get caught by an ambling zombie.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
G.I.B. I was there in 2006 camping and everyone is right, that's NOT a good place to find gold! AND while we were there (about 10 of us) some jerk came out of the treeline and started shoting within sight of us ! He got run off , but it maybe some greenie that just didn't want us there. he must of lived close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread