Flour gold please

bia.morton

Greenie
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've started recently on a creek the runs thru my property. My neighbor who likes to gold pan keeps seeing flour gold everywhere but I'm pretty sure it's not.
Long story short is there anyone willing to send me a tiny bit of very fine flour gold? I'd pay for it ofc. Just wanna see how it looks clean term mix with some black sand to see how it looks dirty.
I'm talking about very very fine stuff.
Thanks

Upvote 0

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Arizau has the right idea. Gold is about 19 times heavier than water, and about 5 times heavier than blonde sands. That said, if your gold is 1/5 the size of your sand, then the two will have about the same specific gravity in your pan and will be VERY difficult to separate. If the gold is even smaller, it will be impossible to separate. Many people fail to realize how important classification is.

Try downloading a Mesh chart - there are many available. One that I like is:
www.carbidellc.com/TechInfo/References/USMeshTylerConversion.pdf

That will give you a very good idea of the difference in sizes, which is important.

There are LOTS of folks that have a difficult time separating fine gold from black sands, which are heavier (by size) than blonde sands. ...Another chart that would be good reference is, well, I'll make a separate post for it. See below.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried classifying down to ??? I'm not sure the mesh size but it is tiny, so tiny that I need magnification to help see it. I can see with the naked eye ... Barely ! I have a enough flour gold so as if I stuck it all together the gold would turn out to be a nice picker!
Hate to toss it out! There's gotta be a better way!?
Thanks kcm for the chart!
Chlsbrns , wasn't a video made of this concept ? I viewed it before?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, now that you know how to classify, I should also ask if you have a compliment of classification sizes? I would try to have classification that divide's itself.
For example:
1/2", 1/4", 1/8", 1/16", 1/32", etc.

Or in decimal measurement:
0.50, 0.25, 0.125, 0.0625, 0.03125, etc.

That way, you would be most likely to cover all of the classification sizes thoroughly without having to get every stinking size out there! UGH!!

Now that you can classify, the next step is to get a cleanup sluice. These are small and take up little room. You can set it up in your house or garage in a recirculating system. For this, buy an appropriate sized plastic tote from Wal-Mart or somewhere. Run your material through the sluice per their instructions to end up with concentrates.

Now you're at the part that gives "most" miners/prospectors a headache - trying to separate the Precious Metals from the waste (normally black sands, but not always). If you only have a small quantity, there are tips to use when panning that will allow you to use a snuffer (or sucker) bottle to suck up the gold. Definitely not like the old days when some lucky fool might happen to see a jawbreaker-sized nugget in a creek from several feet away!!

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have read somewhere that the USA is somewhere between 17th and 30th in the world in Math . Reading some of these posts i really believe it.
The debate here is about extracting a few "pennies" worth of flower gold out of fine sand. Why in the world would you go and spend $60-$70 dollars on a classifier set or $125 Dollars on a blue bowl to get a few pennies worth of
gold?
You can easily get the fine gold out of the pan with a Pipette that costs .50 cents.
Just pan and tap and when u see the goldspecks suck them up and put them into another pan. Rinse and repeat. Once you have isolated the gold into your second pan you can extract the gold from there into your snuffer
bottle. It's not Rocket science people. My Buddy David and I pan down to -150 gold all the time without spending alot of money on it. Just practise.:laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I strongly agree WMG with an exception made for those with palsy in the hands or other (maybe age related) disabilities.

PS I very fondly remember sitting around the picnic table finish panning together last summer!!

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read somewhere that the USA is somewhere between 17th and 30th in the world in Math . Reading some of these posts i really believe it..:laughing7:

Education is the key to anything and if you don't ask questions nothing will be gained, for every question their is a comment and every comment has a comedian.

I for one want to learn every aspect , I'm not on welfare so I spend a couple bucks , so what.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You can also make many of your own classifiers from common materials. One idea would be to get several 5-gal. buckets, then drill the classification holes into the buckets. This will work going down to the smallest drill bits you can find that aren't too small to fit in a drill chuck. Could go even smaller using a Dremel tool.

Once you get below a certain size, the only way to be accurate is to buy the classifier(s) or the screen(s) to make the classifiers.

For folks who don't feel that classification is necessary or worth their while, so be it. There's no law says that everyone has to do things the same as everyone else.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously...it's not that hard. There is no gravity recovery techniques that will clean every single piece of sand in the first try. You may have to clean more then once. Separate in pan the best you can using what ever technique you like. Snuffer gold and small amount of sand.

Now dump pan and rinse. Now dump snuffer into clean pan and repeat procces. By the third run it should be nearly all gold.

If your having trouble it's because you don't have enough panning skill. Go back to the river and do 100 pans because you are not ready yet young Jedi

If that doesn't work you don't have gold in your pan....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread