what should i do

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello folks mainly the McCormick and Abbeville area -- ok just got my permit for the Sumter national forest they gave me a map to follow where to pan and where not to pan now here's my problem -- I HAVE THREE DIFFERENT VIEWS 1)- I HAVE THE MAP FROM THE DISTRICT RANGERS OFFICE . 2)- THE MAP FROM THE INTERNET GOOGLE MAPS .?? 3)- THE MOST VALUEABLE ONE THE ACTUAL VIEW FROM MY EYES - STANDING THERE IN PERSON --- well all three views are different so which one should I go by ???? -- before I knew how to read the map from the rangers office I was in the wrong spot, that I thought I was digging because of where the map showed where candy branch rd. rifle range is the road verse where it is in person plus when I look it up on the internet the sharp left turn they show for the creek is in a different spot than what it's on the ranger's map it's hard to explain what I'm trying to say guess u would have to see and be there to understand ---- my main question is three different maps of the same area which one should I go by my thing is I've tried to look up the same map the ranger's gave me I can't find that one any help would be deeply appreciated

Upvote 0

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tim , If I were you , I would look into a book on orienteering . A book like this will help you to better understand the delineations on your maps . If you have a GPS you could get the cowardinates from the ranger station to help with leading you to the proper areas . Topo maps can be very hard to understand without some basic information , of orientation . I would get a good compass that will keep you on track . JMHO .

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First map I would care about would be the most historically and technically accurate as far as previous mining and geology goes. I would cross reference it with the map that shows where you are allowed to dig. Once in an area I would be sampling and keeping my eye out for indicators. As you find more areas and more access I would try to find those commonalities....and new indicators. remember the new info you gather and apply it to other areas you remember seeing the same sorts of things on previous trips. to me every spot is different but, you will start to come across similar things anfd recognize them. contrary to what you hear about spots being " pounded to death' your best bet for success is most likely places that were hit hard in the past and still get a lot of attention today.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have the corner coordinates of the unrestricted area and you have a GPS you should be good to go. I love aerial maps (some also have coordinates available) since they often show traces of closed or abandoned roads, cow paths, etc. that provide easier hiking access rather than just brush busting. Many of those roads are not on topo maps. The maps on Mylandmatters.org may be helpful to you too.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread