Pocket pan

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped in at Cabela's and found something new in the MD/panning section. Gold Rush mini panning kits! For $11.99 you get a 4" pan, vial of pay dirt, and a worthless plastic tweezer. The pan is 4" in dia with a 1/4" drop in the bottom of the pan. Really not much larger than a chew can, and fits a back pocket nicely. There's no reason to be without a pan with this! It beats using the bottom of a beer can! Then again maybe not!:occasion14: Shouldn't have to hear that the pan wouldn't fit in the pack again.

The only thing this kit is missing is a tiny snuffer bottle. That would be more helpful than those tweezers. The paydirt is mica laden playground sand with 3 pieces of gold added. If you're lucky you might get a $50 nugget. 1 in 250 chance.

IMG_2911.JPG

Better than nothing!

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not a gold pan - that's a drink coaster that looks like a gold pan! :laughing7:

That's pretty cool. ..But don't think it'd be compatible with my fat fingers. :tongue3:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey why not! :icon_thumright:I have a pocket sluice!

DSCN8874.JPG

Closest Cabela's is 4 hours away.....:BangHead:

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need one of those! With a little hole at the top and a string looped through, it will make a mighty fine Christmas ornament! :D Maybe I'll add a little gold glitter too! Cabela's, here I come!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the tiny specks i find it may work out for me

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried it out today with some beach sand. It's a little hard to get things stratified due to the loss of leverage. It's like panning with the bottom of a beer can. So pretty slow going. It does work well in shallow puddles being so small. I had about 1 1/2" of water in a Garrett 10" pan that I used as a safety pan, and had no trouble panning. Did get a little reward!(click on the pic, it's at the top)

IMG_2935.JPG

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I need one of those! With a little hole at the top and a string looped through, it will make a mighty fine Christmas ornament! :D Maybe I'll add a little gold glitter too! Cabela's, here I come!
I think that is the most appropriate use for that particular pan.....:laughing7:

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And, they'll easily hold over an ounce of Au.
Bob
35 grams novelty pan.jpg

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it would be good for making your gold look bigger, I have panned with the bottom of a beer can. i thought i was the only one...:occasion14:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are on clearance at Big5 sporting goods in store only for $8 if you have a local store with availability. They have refill vials 2 for $8 also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread