Panning at Marshall Gold Discovery Site in Coloma CA

Crabs

Nov 19, 2014
Folsom, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my youngest grandson to the Marshall Gold Discovery site in Coloma CA yesterday to pan for gold.
You can pan on the east side of the river for free, but it's a "Pans and Hands" only site.
We found tons of black sand, lots of fools gold, but no real gold.
Obviously I didn't learn to prospect for gold from Parker Shnavel, I must have learned from Todd Hoffman.
*sigh*.
Anyway, it was a glorious day to be alive.

Next time.......

'Crabs

Attachments

• 20170416_120312.jpg
    20170416_120312.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 20170416_133839.jpg
    20170416_133839.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 20170416_133903.jpg
    20170416_133903.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the steel pan. I have never had any luck there either.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting the Grandson out and gold mining at the same time. It was a glorious day. I sent you a pm about some other spots that are kid friendly where you can get some color. Good Luck

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Next time try using that steel pan for digging and use a bigger plastic pan for the actual panning.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why the hate on the steel pan? I have met so many people with negative things to say about steel pans.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why the hate on the steel pan? I have met so many people with negative things to say about steel pans.

I agree. The only thing is that the old traditional style broad bottomed ones with a smooth transition to a smooth side are not readily available now at most prospecting suppliers. That type is also perfect for use as a finishing pan unlike the steel Estwings that you can get almost anywhere and the Falcon finishing pan is the closest thing to traditional style that is made in plastic. A small Estwing steel pan might be a good choice for digging because the ridged sides are probably stronger than the traditional style. A quick search shows that many different sizes of the old style steel pans are still available from alaska mining and diving supply.

Original poster: Good luck and have fun with your grandkids!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crabs

Nov 19, 2014
Folsom, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time try using that steel pan for digging and use a bigger plastic pan for the actual panning.

Kev:

That pan has sentimental value.
I can't imagine panning with anything else.
It was given to me by my father when I was 15 and it's now close to 50 years old.
When I'm too old and frail to use it, I will pass it down to my grandson.
It may not have made any of us rich with gold flakes and nuggets, but the memories it contains are priceless.

'Crabs

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, can't argue with that!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure I know where Joe recommended , same places I would send you. If you get newly exposed bedrock from this years stripping it can get pretty good.

Also look for places where the water has cut the bar and banks and exposed a rusty layer with sand that is bigger than the sand above it.

Those are the migrated fine tailings from the big dredges that ran that section of river.

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, I've been there! That's where I went panning for the first time after going to the visitor center and getting excited about panning for gold. I bought a booklet and read all about it then went down to the river. Beautiful country, hope to go back someday!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread