50-50 black sand/ regular sand

bluveinthrobber

May 24, 2017
Sumter south carolina
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive googled and sesrched this site and still cant find exactly what im looking for but who knows maybe im not looking for the right info. Here it goes. When i have been panning some sand i have been getting it classified down to 1/16 of an inch as i am on the hunt for fine gold. When i am panning it off and it gets down to the last bit i am having trouble refining the last bit down to just black sand and cant pan any further without losing some of the possible good stuff, so then i am unable to tell if there is any color in my pan at all. What are some things i may be over looking? I have youtubed, googled, and even searched here without finding much on this topic

Upvote 0

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Swirling. The bump. Tap. Walking the gold out. And a sniffer bottle. Some people use a magnet.

When you've panned off all you can, swirl gently to wash away the lighter black sand. The gold is under it. Gently! So the gold will, stay.

Wash the sand a good bit from the edge of the pan bottom. The tap the top of the pan. Firm but again, gentle. Any gold will go toward the edge.

Then just suck it up with your snuffer bottle.

OP
OP
bluveinthrobber

bluveinthrobber

May 24, 2017
Sumter south carolina
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind blown! How did i not think of the snuffer bottle. Ill let you know how it works out. I got my material not too far away from the haile gold mine so im almost certain its there!

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple drops of Jet Dri in your pan when you get down towards the good stuff helps to break the surface tension of the water in your pan and stop the fine gold from floating around.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pan down as far as you can and dump into separate catch pan or bucket etc. and then take all that black sand home and run it through a Gold cube or table.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dont use detergent you can actually float gold dust on the bubbles, use jet dry and not too much as it can also make bubbles.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
bluveinthrobber

bluveinthrobber

May 24, 2017
Sumter south carolina
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok awesome. Definitely makes sense about the bubbles. How much color in each pan would it take to make the panning worth it?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finding color at all is the key. That at least lets you know that the creek or what/where ever you are panning has anything at all. If it does then try to find a spot that has more by test panning. If nothing is found where you are looking then seek out other locations. If you were to provide your general location* then maybe someone who is familiar with the area will give you some tips on where to look or some sources for you to do your own research. As to whether it is worth it....everyone on this forum has their own individual standard and not all expect to have their efforts keep them in the black though they undoubtedly hope to.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

* Best done by editing your profile by at least adding the state.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluveinthrobber

bluveinthrobber

May 24, 2017
Sumter south carolina
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in sumter south carolina, but where i was panning was approx 20 minutes west /slighty northwest of haile gold mine in kershaw lancaster area.

OP
OP
bluveinthrobber

bluveinthrobber

May 24, 2017
Sumter south carolina
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so this is what was left after going through a pan of stuff i had. I panned off everything including 98% of the black sand. I was real patient and careful and this is whats left, my eyes are playing tricks on me, can anyone see even the tiniest of anything or is this just some odd colored sand?

Attachments

• 1496425939287.jpg
    1496425939287.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 227

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see sand in the pan but that does not mean there is not gold. When you swirl the pan, does all of the material move easily? Gold (even the tiny stuff) is much heavier than you may think. If it moves freely, its most likely just sand. If it stays still while the other material moves around, it could be gold. Another test would be to put some on a plate and get a knife. Push the point of the knife onto a single "grain" of material. If it shatters like glass, its not gold.

OP
OP
bluveinthrobber

bluveinthrobber

May 24, 2017
Sumter south carolina
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well some of it will move quite easily but then some of it is pretty stubborn and takes quite a bit more to move, some of it can definitely tell is small flecks of sand but some of it does have a gold color instead of a beigeish color. I guess im confused as to why sand would be left after the black sand is removed. Just figured since the black was heavier itd be the last to go next to gold.

OP
OP
bluveinthrobber

bluveinthrobber

May 24, 2017
Sumter south carolina
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ima pick some suspecting grains out and do the knife thing. And next time im using my bigger black pan as this color is hard on my eyeballs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions