Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to, now I just make sure to get any grease off of it.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean "seasoning".. So that water doesn't bead????

I'd assume we all do, though I have seen some pics from really really green folks that haven't.

Having to season a huge pile of pans for the gold panning booth at the better half's elementary school several times...
Sand blasting is a quick easy way... Nice uniform surface, no water beading.. I'll never mess with scotch-brites and
sand paper again...

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean "seasoning".. So that water doesn't bead????

I'd assume we all do, though I have seen some pics from really really green folks that haven't.

Having to season a huge pile of pans for the gold panning booth at the better half's elementary school several times...
Sand blasting is a quick easy way... Nice uniform surface, no water beading.. I'll never mess with scotch-brites and
sand paper again...

It was expressed to me to be for the purpose of roughing up the pan so that gold sticks. But I suppose so.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My concern is grease from the mfg process that will cause fine gold to float, water beading being a second concern which also helps gold float. Brand new plastic pan straight to the creek I instruct people to fill the pan with coarse gravel and then scrub it around as long as they can bear. I feel a good wash with detergent and a scrubby pad is enough to bypass the rockwash. The steel pans come greasy to prevent rust and your best bet is to burn it out on a stove. I'd be careful with sand blasting, some shops I know blast some greasy stuff.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The simple act of using your plastic pan or a plastic sluice will take the glaze off of them in pretty short order. If I bother with the pans at all I just swirl a load of minus 8 mesh sand/pebbles without and with water and the glaze disappears. I would not worry about grease or oil but if you are then just wash them in dish soap. I agree with burning out a steel pan but I just put them on a bbq grill. Make sure you dry them after use to minimize rust.

Last edited:

juneaupanner

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put some wet sand in your pan and wipe it around with a wet paper towel or some cloth until your pains dull.

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to gold prospecting and started out with a plastic pan. I took it straight to the water from where I purchased it and noticed that I lost some gold - it floated away. From what I've seen, dousing it with Dawn dish soap and giving it a good scrub with the rough side of a spunge seems to be one of the most popular ways of 'seasoning' a new plastic pan. I just recently did so and will be giving it a try this weekend. I'll let you know if I notice a difference. I did give it a decent scrubbing with sand and rock from the creek but I still had issues with fine gold floating away. I'll see what happens.....

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on steel pans i put them over a fire till the metal turns blue.

this takes off any oils and makes the gold show better.

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to gold prospecting and started out with a plastic pan. I took it straight to the water from where I purchased it and noticed that I lost some gold - it floated away. From what I've seen, dousing it with Dawn dish soap and giving it a good scrub with the rough side of a spunge seems to be one of the most popular ways of 'seasoning' a new plastic pan. I just recently did so and will be giving it a try this weekend. I'll let you know if I notice a difference. I did give it a decent scrubbing with sand and rock from the creek but I still had issues with fine gold floating away. I'll see what happens.....

I finally took my pan out after giving it a good scrub with dawn soap and the rough side of a sponge. It did seem as though it held onto the gold better but I still had some very small pieces float away. My best advice would be to season it as best as you can and the more you use it it will end up naturally seasoning itself. Again, I've seen a couple of methods and decided to try the soap with a sponge. I just purchased a new pan and will be giving sandpaper, 200 grit, a try as suggested by some other users.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I season all new pans. OOOO steel wool is what I use then wash out with dawn dish soap. Why bother with steel pans when plastic works so much better (in my opinion). I really like the plastic pans that have three or four deep riffles and a 1/4 inch "recess" in the bottom. Garrett gravity trap is my favorite then the one that the GPAA (life member) sells. ╦╦Ç

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing this guys. I'm one of those GREEN guys too. I bought a set of pans a few months ago and would have never thought to wash or rough them before I used them.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah? Do you think 200 is still a bit too rough?

200 takes too much off, and can cause gold to stick too well in the scratches. One of my Garrett's has a #250 permanently stuck in a fine scratch. At least I'll always have gold in that pan!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally took my pan out after giving it a good scrub with dawn soap and the rough side of a sponge. It did seem as though it held onto the gold better but I still had some very small pieces float away. My best advice would be to season it as best as you can and the more you use it it will end up naturally seasoning itself. Again, I've seen a couple of methods and decided to try the soap with a sponge. I just purchased a new pan and will be giving sandpaper, 200 grit, a try as suggested by some other users.

Very tiny pieces tend to float away often. Watch for them and "pop" them with a finger tip to get them out of the surface tension. They tend to float because their surface (flat) area to weight ratio is pretty high. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
200 takes too much off, and can cause gold to stick too well in the scratches. One of my Garrett's has a #250 permanently stuck in a fine scratch. At least I'll always have gold in that pan!

Good to know! Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I season all new pans. OOOO steel wool is what I use then wash out with dawn dish soap. Why bother with steel pans when plastic works so much better (in my opinion). I really like the plastic pans that have three or four deep riffles and a 1/4 inch "recess" in the bottom. Garrett gravity trap is my favorite then the one that the GPAA (life member) sells. ╦╦Ç

Steel or copper pans have different uses and can also be used for cooking, drying or cleaning your gold over a fire. Plus, they don't break. I use different pans for different situations, but a good steel pan has many uses in the woods, including digging in these hands and pans areas that are appearing all over California.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread