Gold panning in Greece!

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys! I am new in gold prospecting so far and I am currently in need of some assistance from the pros! I have bought the basic equipment, a pan and a classifier. Oh, I have to mention that I live in Greece and specifically on an island. Let me tell you the backstory: there are two mountains which both Of them were active volcanos. Researches have be done in the past and showed that there is gold on those mountains, or in at least. So, we have the two mountains and some rivers crossing between them down to the sea. I have found a nice place though where I can search for gold because it’s more easy to approach it. I have already panned some dirt but I only took material from some random places. There are some trees on the sides of the river and there is also a waterfall, also there are many rocks in a short distance of the river and bedrocks too. I will send some photos too when I will have the chance to visit the place again. Maybe on Monday. Anyway my question: do I have the chances of finding some gold? And if yes, where do I have to look specifically? If gold was found deep in the mountains is there any chance of it to be found in the river? And if we suppose that the river is located in the altitude of 300 meters and the peak of the mountains is on 751 meters is it possible that the gold would have gone so low? Thank you guys in advance and I apologize for my noobiness!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can say that it kinda looks like this one. Last time I dug to collect some material I didn’t even dig so deep. Tomorrow I am going again to the place where the river meets the sea. I will pan some sand there and then I will go upstream slowly. I will post photos of the site.

You might look around on the beach (or dig down a little) for black sand layers or deposits.* If you find some then they might contain gold but it will likely be very fine sized.

Good luck.

*There are many pictures of what to look for here. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today.html.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went yesterday in the site. I think that I didn’t dig deep enough again and I forgot to search the sand for layers so I suppose I have to try again. I also forgot to take photos so now nobody can give me some advice. I only did like 4 pans, I didn’t see any black sand but again I think that i didn’t dig deep enough. I did some cravicing too. The only thing that I did find in every pan was like pieces of quartz but black and of course lots of fine quartz size pieces. Next time I will search better and hopefully i will have more time. The banks of the creek, beds, benches, pools need to be inspected. I also found a large piece of what it appears to be quartz, I will post the photo in a few days. That’s for now guys. Finding gold,even fine size will be very hard and time consuming. That’s why if I won’t find anything next time I would have to quit prospecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread