Panning Tomorrow for the First Tme - Jamestown/Woods Creek

aaronburrsir

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been living in the Palo Alto area since 2016 and never once thought about trying my hand at gold panning, but that's about to change tomorrow morning.

Since I'm brand new I'm going to go out with some folks that do tours off of Woods Creek in Jamestown to learn the basics. I've been watching quite a few Youtube tutorials on basic panning and sluicing so I can get a concept of what I'll be getting myself into. I'm definitely not looking to try and live off this and I'm putting it square in the hobby/exercise realm of my life : )

Also been learning the basics on BLM, claims, the Diggings and Land Matters maps and did quite a bit of research on the Briceburg area. The old thread from EagleDown is really fascinating and I'm having fun going through it. Ultimately I'm not sure if I'm up to doing this stuff myself so I might be looking for people in the Jamestown/Tuolumne or Merced/Mariposa to do this with or I'll try to find some people in my area that want to come out and try.

Bummer is that my order of Sluicefox stuff wont get to my place until after I leave to go panning tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should go into one of the mining shops in the area and buy what you need from them and ask them questions. Many of them have claims that you can use and they will give you all of the details.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
also look for clubs near you,gppa may have a local chapter near you
brad

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor