Five Shilling & Eight Dollar Bill

DigItUp

Jun 28, 2005
louisiana
Five Shilling & Eight Dollar Bill

A long time ago while going through a box of photos I found two bills I can hardly believe what they are One of them is a five shilling Bill dated 1776 the other is a bill of eight dollars dated 1774 i'm skeptical of them I hope they're not copies They feel old though if that makes any sense I'll post pics and describe what they say since I know the quality won't be good

The five shilling bill on one side has a plant on it and underneath it says " To Counterfeit is Death "
underneath that it says " Printed by James Adams, 1776 " on the other side is a small picture it is a flag but I can't make out what is on it also the words " Five Shillings " making a border around the picture and a message it says " No. 62101 Five Shillings. This indented bill shall pass current for five shillings according to an ? of General assembly of the counties of Newcastle, Rent and suffer?, upoun Deleware passed in the 15th year of the reign of his majasty George the 3rd dated the first day of January 1776 vs. " There are three signatures but I can't make them out.

The eight dollar bill on one side has a picture of leaves and trees on it and words around it saying " Printed by A. C. and F. Green tis death to counterfeit ANNAPOLIS EIGHT DOLLARS equal to 36 s sterling" on the other side is yet again the words "Eight Dollars" bordering a picture and a message one of the boders says VIII Dollars which I thought was cool anyway the picture seems to be two men one has a shovel the other I think has a closed umbrella standing next to a coat of arms there are words under them but I can't make them out. The message however says " This indented bill of eight dollars, shall entitle the bearer hereof to recieve bills of exchange payable in London, or gold and silver, at the rate of four shillings and six pence sterling per dollar for the paid bill, according to the directions of an act of assembly of MARYLAND daed in ANNAPOLIS, his 10th day of April Anno Domini 1774"

I don't think there's any way of proving they're copies or fakes since you don't have them yourself, I guess it's just I can't believe that something 230 years old could be in such good condition

five shillings.jpg
Five Shilling

five shillings 2.jpg
The other side of Five Shilling

eight dollars.jpg
Eight Dollar Bill

eight dollars 2.jpg
Other Side of Eight Dollar Bill

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Five Shilling & Eight Dollar Bill

Your first step is to go to a bookstore and buy a book on paper money. There are books for paper just as there are the red books for coins. The book should give tips on how to authenticate your bills and collector's value.

As far as being in good condition; why NOT? Anything's possible. If they were put away and not "played with", they could be real.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions