Newb question

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone. Ill try to keep this short. I tried bank strap hunting about a year ago and after 2k in ones and not finding much, I stopped. I'm usually over at the roll hunting forum and searching coins at my register job but lately I've got an itch to try bills again to add some variety to my collection. I suppose my questions would be:

1) What should I look for in 1$ notes? Besides the obvious low serial numbers, silver certs and whatnot?

2) Is there an "average" for finding something? Like 1 in every X amount of bills you'll usually find a *insert bill variety/type*

And finally 3) What holders are generally better/the best for storing saved notes?

Thanks for your time.

~~Pt78~~

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can help you on a couple of those fronts perhaps:
-In terms of searching modern notes, I would focus mainly on serial numbers/star notes and errors. You may find some silver certificates from the later series but very rarely.
-As to how many keepers you may find per X number of notes, I couldn't say, but I will tell you it will most likely be a VERY low percentage of what you search(depending of course on your standards for what constitutes a keeper). So don't count on much.
-And lastly, DO NOT SKIMP on buying holders for you currency. The cheap ones are cheap for a reason, they are made of inferior materials that will actually harmed your prized notes over time. The main chemical to avoid is PVC. Never store a coin or bank note in anything containing PVC. It will slowly leach into the paper and destroy the value of the currency. If you are not sure whether or not a holder contains PVC, don't use it! I highly recommend these:
Supersafe Standard Weight Currency Sleeves - Modern - Wizard Coin Supply

Good luck to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread